Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me out.

A friend of mine just called me and she said that she thinks that she has coarctation of aorta. She searched online and apparently, her symptoms say that this is the condition that she has. She is going to visit her doctor the day after tomorrow.

Anyway, before she sees her doctor, I wanted to ask you about these signs and symptoms of coarctation of aorta. If you could tell me which these are, I can compare them with the symptoms that my friend has and I can give her a feedback.

Hey Bee,

This condition can be both harmless and harmful, depending on the severity of the condition. Most people don't have any symptoms. Symptoms of coarctation of aorta in babies include pale skin, irritability, heavy sweating, difficulty breathing, difficulty eating. This condition is more dangerous in babies, if it is left untreated, it could lead to heart failure or death.

Symptoms of coarctation of aorta in older people include high blood pressure, headache, muscle weakness, leg cramps or cold feet, nosebleeds and chest pain.

Like I said, most people have no symptoms at all but since your friend has them, she should get a proper treatment.

Hey Bee,

It's a good thing that she wants to see her doctor but I don't think that there is a need for that unless she is having some quite serious symptoms, like severe chest pain, fainting, sudden shortness of breath or unexplained high blood pressure. It doesn't necessarily mean that she is in danger if she has these symptoms but it would be best for her to get that checked out. Early detection and treatment could help save her life.

Are the symptoms that we wrote similar to the ones that your friend is having, Bee, or are they different?

Hello guys,

Thank you for your replies, Adria and Stradivarius, I appreciate it, really.

I think that she has some of the symptoms that you mentioned above, Adria and Stradivarius, but not all of them. And she doesn't have a single symptom of the ones that you classified as the dangerous ones, Stradivarius. 

Even though you said that it might not be dangerous and that it might not be necessary for her to see her doctor, she is going to see him anyway. She is taking good care of her health and she wants it to stay that way, she is a health freak.

Hey guys,

It's smart of her to see her doctor, don't listen to Stradivarius, he just doesn't like going to the doctor nor dentist.

She is going to be fine if she doesn't have any severe symptoms. It doesn't even have to be coarctation of aorta, it can even be something else, a lot of different conditions have these similar symptoms, she might not even have any sort of condition or disease, I don't know, her doctor will do some analyses and she'll know for sure then. In most cases, this isn't dangerous but sometimes it is so it is better to get this checked out.

Hi there. The cause of it is still unknown. But you can have sings and symptom that are showing that you maybe have problem with this disease. But you need to know that symptoms can depend on how much blood can flow through the artery. Other heart defects can also play a huge role. Symptoms can include: chest pain, dizziness, fainting, failure, cold legs, cold fetes, poor growth, pounding headaches, shortness of breath, you don’t have will to exercise or you can’t exercise, your nose is bleeding, etc. Also, you may have no symptoms at all.

Consult your doctor anyway. Enjoy.

Hi there. My husband is 57 years old and since we are together he has problems with his heart. He is dealing with it pretty fine. Three months ago he started to have some weird symptoms that he never had before. He had headaches, he fainted once, he had really high blood pressure as well. I got scared so I urged him to see his doctor. He listened to me and after various analyses doctor told him that he has coarctation of aorta. Doctor explained that he experienced the most common symptoms of coarctation (I mean these what I have listed in my post).

Hello everyone. This is treatable condition.  The aorta is actually the major blood vessel that carries blood away from the heart to the body. Now, you need to understand what means when someone has coarctation of the aorta. That means that your aorta is narrowed at some point.  In which point - it is hard to tell without some analyses and tests. Do you know how healthy aorta works? Well, blood that needs oxygen comes from all over the body and enters the right side of the heart, which pumps it to the lungs. The lungs fill the blood with oxygen and the left side of the heart finishes up by pumping the blood out through the aorta. From this aorta your blood travels through arteries that reach all of the body's organs and tissues, bringing them oxygen. Very simple procedure, right?

Greetings everyone. I don't know about you who have problems with it, but all that I can tell you is that when I had signs and symptoms of coarctation of aorta, I was feeling extremely bad. I started to have the fever, sometimes I had herpes and I was really dizzy most of the time. I didn't know that this can be a problem, that those are symptoms of some health issue. Actually, i was thinking that I am pregnant because I had some pregnancy sings. But when my doctor told me that I have this condition, I was worried. He told me that I should not be worried, because it is treatable. So I am much calmer now.