HI. I’m not here to ask you to help me but good friend of mine. He’s not rich, even doesn’t have insurance, and has many health problems. So, I’m trying to help him out as much as I can and, first of all, I would like to determine cause for his problems. He’s mentioned to have a rapid heartbeat, tremor of the fingers and I’m sure that he’s lost at least 15 pounds within last two weeks. I’ve asked around and found that cause could be hperthyroidism but I still need some additional info to be sure. What is hperthyroidism and what are the most common symptoms? Thanks for all help.

Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which there is overproduction of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland. This is causing the levels of thyroid hormone in the blood to be too high which then effects whole body, especially it’s metabolism. This increased metabolism then results, for example, in weight loss as the body will burn much more energy than it normally would. The most common symptoms of hyperthyroidism may include a rapid heartbeat, tremor of the fingers and hands, weight loss, and the inability to tolerate heat. The only way your friend can determine weather he has this disease or not is taking a blood test that will surely show level of thyroid hormone – if it is high than chances he has it are large.