I found a tick on the neck of my cat. I've removed it by ripping it off. How dangerous ticks are?

Ticks are small spider like bugs that feed themselves on blood from mammals and that’s the reason why they can be dangerous – they can carry a disease and pass it on when they make contact with bloodstream. They can carry some very dangerous diseases which even can pass on to humans, but all that can be prevented. The most important part is to remove them properly and to make sure that nothing has left. It’s best just to pull them out carefully with tweezers. I had cats that were living almost completely outdoors and fighting with ticks happened on a daily basis, but, luckily, not one cat ever got sick.

Ticks can carry diseases that are quite unpleasant and some can be transmitted to humans.

You don't say where you are, but here in the northeast we have the Deer tick which was infected with a designer disease at the government's experimental warfare lab on Plum Island off the coast of Connecticut. It probably hitched a ride to the mainland on some birds and was first found in humans in Lyme Connecticut so it is called Lyme disease. It's quite a problem around here these days. In other parts of the country there are other diseases that some ticks carry. They seem to be specialized carriers though in that only Deer ticks carry Lyme so around here the other kinds of ticks are not too worrisome.

When I was a kid I played in the fields and woods all the time and never even saw a tick. Today it's nearly impossible to go out like that without bringing at least one tick home on your body.