Hi. My son M is 14 years old and recently he had pneumonia. Ever since then he has had many coughing episodes for which his doctor say it is bronchitis. But, I am very concerned that it is more than bronchitis because of the frequency and severity of them. The doctor thinks I am overreacting, but I just want to help my child the best I can. Is there a chance my son has an asmtha? What are the most common symptoms for it? Please help. Thank you.

Dear, parents do love their children and therefore often believe that they hear or feel wheezing in their child's chest even when there isn’t any. On the other hand, any child who has had the diagnosis of bronchitis on several occasions may very well be an asthmatic. Of course, diagnosis is very important because there are many good medicines that your child can take for asthma. To be honest, I really can’t be sure weather your sun has it or not because you’ve mentioned only one symptom. Here is the list of asthma symptoms – I hope they’ll help you determine weather he has it or not. Symptoms are: pale, cool, clammy skin, coughing (especially at night), shortness of breath (using all the chest and diaphragm muscles to breathe), wheezing (a high pitched raspy sound on breathing), anxiety, distress, exhaustion, rapid or weak pulse, bluish color, little or no improvement after using reliever medication (usually enough for bronchitis) and, finally, severe asthma attack: collapse - leading to eventual respiratory arrest

kirkwood wrote:

I don't think so