The pituitary gland is removed quite often for different reasons. Please educate yourself on accredited information. Depending on the size, location of a tumor and either increase or decrease of hormones will depend on treatment. If a tumor is removed it can come back. If only half of the pituitary gland is removed then only some hormone replacement therapy will be required. You should be able to click on the hyperlinks below to learn more about which hormone is produced and by which lobe, anterior or posterior. Best of luck to you, listen to your physician or get a second PHYSICIAN opinion. 

The Anterior Lobe
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)GonadotropinsFollicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)FSH in femalesFSH in malesLuteinizing Hormone (LH)LH in femalesLH in malesProlactin (PRL)Growth Hormone (GH)Hormone-replacement therapyACTHAlpha Melanocyte-Stimulating Hormone (α-MSH)
The Posterior LobeVasopressin Oxytocin

Smiley girl. Don't feel alone. My husband has his pituitary gland removed Nov 8. He had a 17 mm cyst inside his pituitary gland. Have you had your surgery?

I had a pituitary tumor removed at the age of 16, removing my whole pituitary gland. After surgery I had radiation therapy for about three months. I am now 42 and fit and healthy, no weight problems. I have had two beautiful girls with the help of IVF.

Can you tell me what types of HRT you needed after the removal? My daughter is 15. She has a germinoma on her pituitary stalk. Eventually she will need radiation therapy to get rid of the tumor but that won't repair the damages to her endocrine system. She has no estrogen in her body and is about to start the estrogen patch and progesterone pills to bring about her period. She has diabetes insipidus so she takes the vasopressin at night so she can sleep through the night. She takes thyroid medication too. People keep asking me about fertility problems but I am focused on getting her healthy now. Will deal with all that later. I am so happy to see you had children.

doublell wrote:

Catt69 wrote:

Sorry to hear your daughter is going through this, a good endocrinologist makes all the difference. My HRT has pretty much remained the same since my op, levels have changed but the basics are still the same. I take Cortisone, Thyroxine and Minirin (tablet for the diabetes insipidus). I was on the oestrogen and progesterone pills, but are now only on progesterone. I also take DHEA, (I get this on prescription from a compounding chemist, expensive but I think its worth it). I had a trial for growth hormone, ended up feeling like a pin cushion with no discernable effects. Fingers crossed it all goes well, am thinking of you both.

aliciamill - I did have my suregery and it went very well. I'm recovering nicely and my meds are almost in order. I'm taking hydrocortisone, synthroid, desmopression (for the diabeties insipidous) and estrogen. My doctors are looking at starting me on growth hormone in about a year since I'm still fairly young. My IGF level went from 1100 to 54 which is good but I might need a little boost later on. Looking forward to living the rest of my life with out the weight of acromegaly on my back. :)

HI Carol

If it wasnt for my pituitary gland being removed i wouldnt be around today!! it was removed at the age of 2YRS old and i am now 26yrs old!! yes it is not the ideal thing to have it removed but i am grateful for my doctors and for them removing it!!! There is hormonal replacement tables and yearly mri scans and i have had at least 6 operations on my brain to remove the pituitary gland!!
So lets rather prays the doctors for there miricle hands then have u down grading saying they need to just remove your whole head!! im alive and have no pituitary gland.

Thank you

Catt69 - it is so nice to hear that you have had two beautiful children without your pituitary gland!! this is my main reasoning to finding out - as i had my pituitary gland removed and been told its a 50/50 chance but will need to be IVF!! which is fine!!

Thank you

Hi smiley_girl

I had a cancerious cell on my pituitary gland wen i was about 2 years old - this lead to the loss of my balance and going from walking to crawling again!! the doctors then found the tumor and as the pituitary is as small as a pea it was impossible to remove the tumor just alone!! i had my whole pituitary gland removed and now i am on a strict hormonal replacement regime. Other than that - i have grown into a normal 26 year old who was able to live my life!!
I opt that you get it removed and if you have already studied into who is a good neuroseurgeon - i think u will be fine!! my doctor was DR Mennen - in SA - if u would like his number you are more than welcome.

Good Luck and let me know how it went.

Nikki d

Thanks Nikki - d, I was originally told I had a slim to none chance of falling pregnant, thank goodness for the research IVF has done over the years.

HHi, my mom almost died because of Addison disease. She went in to an Adisonian crisis which sounds similar to the above. When in crisis you need steroids right away, most emergency doctors don't know this.

I had surgery to remove a pituitary tumor in 2006. The tumor had progressed to the point that it was invading my optical nerves and had wrapped around my carotid artery. The doctor removed as much of the tumor as they could and then I under went 28 hour long radiation treatments. My pituitary gland was partially removed (it had already stopped functioning) and the part that wasn't removed was killed by the radiation treatments. I was vaguely told about hormone replacements but, the repercussions of not having a pituitary gland were never explained to me. I had a difficult time finding a competent Endocrinologist to handle my hormone replacement therapy. I went five years without treatment because I put my trust in doctors that were not knowledgeable enough to treat me. I am now on thyroid hormones, steroids due to adrenal insufficiency (my adrenal glands don't work, vitamin D and calcium replacement (due to osteoporosis caused by the steroids), potassium pills, and I have developed type 2 diabetes and heart arrhythmia. If my doctor's had explained the serious nature of this illness I would have been more careful in selecting an Endocrinologist. Unfortunately for me, I still suffer from hormonal imbalances. I tell you all of this so you will not make the same mistake I did. The surgery is the easy part of this whole ordeal. I had the surgery, which lasted for four hours, was put in surgical intensive care over night, and was to be transferred to a room for an additional three days. However, I did so well after the surgery that I went home the next day. This is a very serious illness and requires hormone replacement therapy for the rest of your life but, I have talked to other people who have had better outcomes then I have. I wish you the very best.

Hi..I had my pituitary removed in 1995 at the age of 25. Yes there are some definite draw backs but it was better then the alternative...I have been taking davp spray and synthroid since it was removed..I had both my kids in 2003 and 2007 (8-10 years later)with in vitro and they are healthy and normal. Now I am 41 and have osteoprosis and no sex drive..only thing I would suggest estrogen replacement to help save your bones and your sex life....other then that I live a pretty normal life.

Carol, you have no Idea what you are talking about. You must be the fraud. I'm a recovering male Cushing’s disease patient. Sometimes it is not an option but to have the pituitary gland remove. The alternative is to die from Cushing’s. I had mine removed 3 weeks ago. It is common practice if the tumor cannot be found and test shown that the source of the problem is indeed the pituitary. I had an Inferior petrosal sinus sampling performed on me that showed excess ACTH output over 1,000 times the normal level. It’s been hell since the surgery but I’m doing well now and I’m back to work. I’m on Hydrocortisone only at the moment and will follow up with my endocrinologist next week when other hormones will be added. Everyone out there please ignore this persons post. It should be removed and considered abuse.

I have a friend who claims to be a 35 year survivor of pituitary gland removal. He is under the care of an endocrinologist who has prescribed multiple hormone replacement to be taken for the rest of his life, Should I believe he is lying about his surgery?