Had mine removed because of a tumor, I take thyroid pills, prednisone, testosterone,

im a guy 48 y.o. been takein meds and testostrone shot since i was 12 .i had a brain tumor removed and my pituitary gland.its important to take the pills regularly for energy and focus .the shot is to because i didnt take alot of shot because i was young and who wants to take shots,but know i have arthritus bad in my hip .the testostrone keeps your bone streanth up .and one more thought the pills are never going to make you feel as good as when you had tour naturalhormons.

So you no longer have a pituitary gland, and you had no weight gain or any other problems?

i had this surgery total removal of piturity gland and adrenal glands. in 2008 i take hydrocortisone fludrocortsone and because the piturity gland was removed i am now type 2 diabetic. Mine was caused by Cushing Disease. of u go on the website Piturity.org it is very helpful. But see an Endocrinologist. I

She

Hello I had a tumor connected to my pituitary gland and had both removed at age 7. You will be in for a long haul but it is easier since your done puberty and will have to take medicine for the rest of your life everyday. Yet if you listen to your body, learn the medication and how each one effects you you will see how amazing our bodies are. How important this gland is and it's going to be OK but listen to yourself because not many doctors or any medical people even understand this so you've got to work as a team don't just give what they tell you and wonder if you don't feel right. You can do this and I thank my lucky stars every day that my mother was smart enough to research everything and in term understand me after

I had my pituitary gland removed when I was 12 yrs. old, in 1987. I had a craniopharyngioma that had grown for 3 yrs. w/out symptoms. It was too big to remove it alone. They had to remove the whole pituitary gland to get all of it. I lived in Lincoln, Ne and had to be rushed to Omaha for surgery the next day. They told my parents I only had a 50/50 chance of survival, but if I didn't get the surgery by the next day, I would die. So, that's what they did and I lived. The tumor was the kind that always came back. I was very blessed that it never came back again. However, it changed me right away. I was even rude to my sisters when they came to visit me in the hospital. I wasn't prepared to not feel like myself. I felt depressed, disconnected, and alone. I stayed home for a couple of months and when I returned to junior high, I had to take one period in the nurses office to sleep, to help me recover. I was exhausted. I lost a lot of my friends b/c they didn't know what to think and I had the top of my head shaved, so maybe that scared them too. It also made me a target to be bullied. It wasn't easy at all. They did put me on hormone replacement therapy, but they waited too long on the growth hormone and I am now the shortest in the family. They also waited on the female hormones, but I'm glad they did b/c they caused me to gain 30lbs over the summer and I was always hungry. I got made fun of b/c of my weight and I was in high school so my best friend left me b/c I wasn't popular anymore. I only say all of this b/c there are a lot of things that can change emotionally. Maybe that only happened to me b/c I was still growing up, but it was very hard for me. It would have helped to have had some counseling or be able to go to a support group. I know that my life was saved, but it seems like back then maybe they didn't know how it could affect your personality, how you felt, how you handled things, the emotions that you went through on a daily basis, etc... I just want parents to be aware for their children that even with hormone replacement therapy, there is a lot more that they are going to need to feel better.

Good information here..

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Pituitary-Center/Patient-Guide/FAQ.aspx

And here about removal of pituitary gland..

Regards JJ

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I had a Pituitary Tumor removed with three surgeries then radiation treatments over the past three years. For the last two years my Pituitary Gland basically shut down due to all the trauma. I am on prednisone and levothyroxine. I turned down the growth hormone as I do not want to take daily injections and I am 58 so the growth issue isn't as important. I was informed of other possible effects and still decided not to take this. Not sure if that is the right thing to do though. I also take Vitamin D and Calcium, potassium, and a multi vitamin.

I have energy issues and have had to adapt to a different schedule as a result. I also have aching knees but my family also has a history of arthritis so who knows.

As for the idiots who say you will die if you don't have your pituitary gland, they do not know what they are talking about. I would recommend that anyone get expert care from experienced endocrinologists. I went to Johns Hopkins when it was apparent that local doctors had limited experience and I am very pleased with my treatment. Look for Pituitary Tumor centers on local hospital websites - if a hospital has experience, they usually have a center. Ask questions of your doctor about his/her experience.

I had mine removed.. Are you a doctor? Because my pituitary gland is gone and I am still kickin! I had 2 pituitary tumors so the only option was to take the gland. So every patient died?? You need some re education.

My daughter was also 16 when she had hers removed. She is now almost 30 and is getting married in May 2017. She is wanting children! So you have had 2 children?

CAROL, Waht rubbish, I had mine removed in 1992/3 because it had regrew another tumour and to prevent it happening again it was removed surgicaly, I have had no troubles with the treatment I have been getting till the Govt. stopped the production of testosterone implants and instead I was put on Reandron 1000 which is giving me some problems, Do some research then send a reply Lloyd Qld

I had a problem with my pituitary gland where it was completely destroyed. I have been put on cortisone and thyroxine which gives me all that I cannot produce. You must find a very good endroconologist. I have been on this for 16 years.

I am facing removal of the Pituitary. My tumour is very large. MRIs over the last two years showed no further growth, so I fought to not have the surgery at that time. My tumour being non-functioning. I already have adrenal insufficiency and no thyroid hormone. I have replacement therapy for these. My tumour has suddenly begun to produce large amounts of growth hormone. My doctor and surgeon are shocked. I was told there was no other option but to have the surgery which will render me lacking yet more essential hormones. I feel this drastic kind of surgery will cause other life-shortening problems and, that for pituitary/acromegaly statistics, the motive is more related to completely controlling the GH. Like you, I am feeling alone with this.

I

Hi. I had my Pituitary removed due to having a good size tumor on it. I have to take replacement hormones. I was also able to have children through the help of a fertility specialist. My kids are now 6 & 8 years old.. The issues I run into is my body temperature goes up/down at times and trouble losing weight due to taking a steroid replacement hormone. I have lost some weight. Other than that life is the same! ;).. good luck! Charlene