I had my pituitary gland removed in 1982. Iam 66 years now. During this interval I have been on full hormone replacement therapy.

While initially it was a big shock I have followed doctors orders completely. I can make the following observations.

1. due to the delay in diagnosing my problem the tumor could only be treated by surgery,radiation and hormone replacement

2.I have almost without exception taken every pill during this time.

3.I take 2 grams of vitamin C, and 1 centrum daily. I have eaten no meat and rarely fish during this period.

4.During this period I have missed about 1 sick day year while taking no flu shots.

5.  the biggest improvement during this period has been the addition of growth hormone to the medication list. This has given me my 

body back. I have lost thirty pounds while eating the very same foods. This has done wonders for my self image.

6. As my doctor has said the biggest  complaint in post pituitary replacement patients is they feel "crappy" all the time. For me I

can truthfully say there are far more poor than good days. It would make all the difference if we could get the body to produce more feel 

good serotonin

While it has not been easy  I have had the chance to be the father I always wanted to be and have continued my dental 

practice for 39 years. I wish you the very best of luck . Dr. Tom.

Thank you Tom for sharing your experiences. In regards to feeling crappy, I found DHEA has helped, not sure if you've tried that. Understanding that the way you feel is linked to the lack of pituitary helps, I find some days I have no get up and go, apparently that is also a symptom. I will speak to my endo and give growth hormone another try.

I had suddenly started to have strong headaches around my 'periods' then it was- before during and after - next it was daily - then throughout the day and night. I had quit smoking, drinking and any kind of pills. My thyroid was swollen and enlarged slightly on one side. I was treated for that, not working - another doctor and after years of tests- I had to thank my Pituitary Tumor for all the trouble- it was removed but the quality of My Life became challenging and my search to stay off harmful meds. and using only natural remedies - my best results have come from using a detox gentle enough for daily use; You can find things for all your ills - just take a list to your Best Natural Health Foods store, your deserved the best for your bodies. Check it out! Oh and as far as Sex goes surround yourself with YOUR favorite things and stay in shape, you gotta remember......

When I was 5 I had my pituitary gland removed (due to a tumour called a craniopharyngioma). I take DDAVP, levothyroxine and hydrocortisol 3 times daily, plus female hormones. I used to take growth hormone but stopped when my annual growth was less than 2cm. Overall this scenario hasn't affected my day to day life, I'm 18 years old now (at university studying biology) I have a great doctor and take my pills on time, and I am healthy and well. :) 

messerrt wrote:

carol Jewell wrote:

This doctor is in a bad way, if he thinks removing the pituitary gland is an option. It proves to me, there are doctors and there are doctors. This particualr fellow is not fit to in such a professin. I would give him a very very wide berth indeed. In fact he ought to be exposed and expelled as unfit for purpose. We have some wondeful doctors, don't let individuals such as this damage their reputation.  The above story says "I actually had my Pituitary gland removed " is not to be trusted. A lying cheat ....................masquerading as a patient ?  The only time a pituitary gland was removed here, the patient immediately died. This detail is uncontroverible.   You can and must cure the pituitary gland, when it becomes damaged,  as a matter of essential care,  to re-establish good health.

Carol, you have no Idea what you are talking about. You must be the fraud. I'm a recovering male Cushing’s disease patient. Sometimes it is not an option but to have the pituitary gland remove. The alternative is to die from Cushing’s. I had mine removed 3 weeks ago. It is common practice if the tumor cannot be found and test shown that the source of the problem is indeed the pituitary. I had an Inferior petrosal sinus sampling performed on me that showed excess ACTH output over 1,000 times the normal level. It’s been hell since the surgery but I’m doing well now and I’m back to work. I’m on Hydrocortisone only at the moment and will follow up with my endocrinologist next week when other hormones will be added. Everyone out there please ignore this persons post. It should be removed and considered abuse.

Yes - the post by Carol Jewel is ridiculous. I also had Cushings Disease and would be dead if I had not had surgery and radiation to kill the gland. I am ten years post op and am doing okay.

I had my pituitary gland removed when I was 23... My only advice is to have a very good endocrinologist follow you for hormone replacement...I am now 42 and have osteoporosis due to no hormones being replaced..however I did have my own children at age 34 and 38 through IVF are I only wish I had better knowledge of the hormones I should have taken to help with osteoporosis,muscle weakness and fatigue now...other then that I live a relatively normal life..work,gym and other activities.

Hi Jennbuck,

Your story is very similar to mine, it seems there is a bit of guess work out there in regards to what we need. Im sorry to hear that you have developed osteoporosis, could you share what hormones you are on now?

My Pituitary was removed in 2001, my endocrinologist was an old man and retired after my surgery, my surgeon had a heart attack and died so I had to rely on my family doctor and we have muddled through this nicely. I did the Hgh which helped my hair grow back but fears of breast cancer took me right back off it a year later. I had an anaphylactic reaction to hydrocortisone, so I was left with prednisone, a terrible drug but one I require. I take Synthroid ad while I have Diabetes insipidus, I have a weird form that is nocturnal. Lucky me, I pee all night. All is all, I would rather be chubby and alive than skinny and dead. It is hard to get the weight off but try anyway because it will come off but very slowly. Listen to your body and learn what it feels like when it is doing well and not so well. I have gotten so I can tell my doctor when I am in an Addisonian Crisis and we head it off at the pass. Best of luck to all of you and remember that every day above ground is a good one. 

Do not remove get a 2nd opinion!!!!

What was the recovery period like when you had your surgery? Is it painful? Difficult?

I see your post is one year old, but I thought I would reply anyway.....because I am sick and tired of taking replacement hormones for removal of my pituitary gland due to a tumor.
In response to your question, and I am sure you are taking, prenizone, hgh hormone and synthroid. Let me know how you are doing.

Carol. Patients can survive without a pituitary. As the "master" gland, its loss requires the careful monitoring and regulation of hormone replacement tx. It's removal would never be first choice, but at times there is no other.

RN (REAL nurse)

My pituitary gland was removed in 1986.  Thanks God, I am still alive but it is a rough road along the way.   Daily, I suffer aches and pain, almost always tired, sometimes confuse.  I started with four medicines for hormone replacements and now I am taking ten kinds of medicines just to maintain life. 

My advice:  Save your pituitary gland at all cost; living without it is like living in prison.  You can't do much freely, there is so many things to consider due to the health problems cause by the lack of pituitary gland.

hi I also had mine die so if you would get back to me that would be great as we share so many symptoms of having no P.glan

Goodness

Having your pituitary gland removed doesnt = death!!! Please people dont respond unless you know what your talking about ( especially the So called qualified Theatre nurse!!!)

I had my pituitary gland removed 2 weeks ago and im still alive!!!!

The plan was to remove a tumor, plan B was to remove the affected side and if the whole gland looked suspect they would do plan C and remove the whole gland, which is what eventuated.

I had Hyperplasia of the ACTH cells in the pituitary gland. My ACTH and cortisol levels were spiralling out of control and yes if they didnt remove the gland i would have died. They removed the gland, and it really wasnt that bad. Yes i now have Diabetes Insipidus ( this is not the same as sugar diabetes ). I pee a lot and i have excessive thirst. For most people this Insipidus does settle with time after pituitary surgery. There is a possiblity i will need to take hydrocortizone and possibly thyroxine for life. Again no biggie. The best thing is My sugar diabetes has all but gone, im off insulin and have decreased oral meds from 6 pills a day to 1. My blood pressure decreased dramatically post surgery..... so yes, if the doctor says its in your best interest to have your gland removed....its no big deal. You can live easily without it !!!

People who try to scare others with nonsense annoy the hell out of me !!!