It is disaster. My little girl has a boyfriend. Trouble is that she is 19 and he is 38 years old. She had never done this before. Two months ago she got out from the long relationship. She was very hurt. I am afraid that she is doing something foolish. She is an art student and they have met in some gallery. They are together for two weeks. She wants to introduce us. My husband doesn't want to hear about him. I am not sure how to react.

Rejection of your daughter choice is not something which can help. It can only have the opposite effect. Try to talk with your husband. It is good that your daughter want to meet him with you. It means that she trust you and wants you approval. Do not miss this opportunity. Then try to talk with daughter, see her true motives. She has probably lost trust in younger boys and she think that the older ones are different. It would be the best that your husband try to explain her some things.

melessa you are a m***n. With views like yours it is NOT surprising that your daughter finds solace in the company of an older mature guy. She probably finds in him qualities she cherishes and longs for. Be supportive. Dont be embarrassed. Find out what type of guy he is. Dont brainwash her into believing he is not right for her. Let her give love a chance. What did her previous YOUNGER boyfriend do. Do you want her to have another similar experience with another younger bloke. Shouldnt she be happy instead of feeling the need to satisfy parents. SELFISH SELFISH SELFISH parents. Stop thinking about yourselves. THINK OF HER FOR ONCE. Let her be!!

Well, It seem that It might be late If I comment now.
Since I'm in a similar condition as ur daughter, u might find my comment useful.

My ex were 10years apart from me, I tried to do wats ur daughter doing right now, same reaction from my parents just like ur husband. It ended up breaking down the harmony of the whole household, we never talk. Once talk there will be heat quarrels. sometimes my parents even wish that I better not existed.

But now, I have a lover which its 24 years older than me, I never let my parent knew what is deep within my heart of fearing that It will tear my family apart.

So.... I had a plan, when I'm graduated and stabilise my career I'll get my relationship "on air" and will hold on to it as long as v both can work out no matter how fierce the rejection will be.

What I'm trying to implement is that, if u met up with the guy, know him more, u might still protect ur girl if the man is up to no good. If its turns out all good and they get married afterwards, bless them.

Ur rejection may make things worse.

Supporter
such a sensible, wise reply. THANK YOU.
I think there is such a paranoia about older male partners. I dont understand why the fear.
I was with an older guy when I was 13ish. It was the most fantastic relationship. He was way way way older than me. I didnt tell anyone. Just 3 very close friends knew because they used to cover for me when I went to his place.