I have serious problem with my daughter. I am a single mother. My daughter is 15 years old. Lately she becomes problematic. She always had an attitude and she was independent, but until now those were her qualities. She is seeing some new friends. Yesterday I catch her smoking weed with her friend in backyard. She is not listening to me. What could I do?

It is very hard for every parent to react properly in this situation. The weed itself has bad influence in person's body. But it is not the main problem. It sounds like your daughter has new friends, who have great influence on her. It could explain change in her behavior. Also under the influence she could try some heavy drugs. Do not allow this. Try to talk with her not like her mother but like her friend. If you are not able to do that then try to get help from her childhood friends or relatives which are dear to her. If all of this fails then seek some professional help.

im 15 myself, and have smoked weed in the past. She probly feels thast u dont get it, and dont understand.
i dont know if u have ever smoked pot, but there isn't much harm. I am a guy so i quit now, only because i've heard rumors of it stunting your growth.
but just try and talk to her about it, as her why she does it. but dont be too orried about it most of what you HEAR about it isnt true.

i would be smokin weed right now, but my family has a history of mental illnesses.. i heard weed triggers that..

..its the only thing stoppin me from doin it the whole time.. id say shes a bit bored maybe depressed... she needs sum good music..

im 16 years old and to be completely honest i smoke weed with my mom. mom is a single parent its just me and her im a good kid i do good in school i have a job im not a s*** or w**** i don't do drugs i dont even drink.all i do is smoke weed and so does my mom.she says if smoking weed is the worst thing im doing than shes proud of me and she would rather me get it from her than go out there and get it from someone else and it have something harmful in it and she knows im just gonna go out there and smoke it anyways. there are millions of teen girls screwing everything thing that walks, getting drunk and passing out and getting date raped,sneaking out windows, failing school, not having any goals,abusing there mothers, getting pregnant, the list goes on and none of those are me. im not saying u need to let her smoke weed u should have a talk with her , be very understanding about the situation. i actually started smoking weed because i have OCD and i had very massive headaches and Weed has been the Best healer

you should let her smoke pot. i love pot. i'm fifteen, and from canada, all people do there is smoke. it's so straight, i have no clue why it has such a bad rep, like it's nothing to worry about, im'a smoke pot til' the day i die.

I actually have to agree with this. In my town, most people smoke weed; I've seen police buying from dealers, who do their deals in convenience stores and restaurants. Nobody looks down on it here.

Don't knock it til you've tried it!

Povtoryayu wrote:

Guest wrote:

Don't knock it til you've tried it!

Obviously, this mom prefers that her daughter NOT smoke weed. The approval rate is coming from the younger generation here.
She is having a problem and is seeking advice for her problem and how to correct it.
My daughter started out smoking weed and almost lost her life from IV heroin use.
Hey, if that's your bag, so be it as no one is here to judge anyone, but this mom disagrees, which she is free to do so. We are supposed to be here to help, not to promote what she is having the issue with.

bbfeet9 wrote:

Povtoryayu wrote:

Guest wrote:

Don't knock it til you've tried it!

Actually, she is NOT having a problem. Her daughter is the one smoking weed, which means it's her daughter's problem, assuming her daughter thinks it's a problem.
This approval rate is not simply coming from the younger generations. As I've said, I've seen POLICE OFFICERS buying pot. Relatives of mine use pot. I've been taught by teachers who were high in class. 80 year olds come into the store I work at and ask if I have any weed to sell. Besides which, I don't even smoke it myself, though I have before.

By saying don't knock it til you've tried it, I am trying to help; this mother can reach out to her daughter in a way her daughter will appreciate by trying some of the things her daughter has.

I don't get it, what do you mean that it is not mom's problem? Of course it is in a sense. If this child is smoking weed (which is illegal) and mom is saddened by it, it is now a problem that was shoved at mom, she did not expect this to happen. Now what is fun for the kid is causing mom to be upset and hurt, this is now mom's problem.
I do not care that Police Officers buy it nor do i care that teachers who have tought you were high, these examples of yours are not important. The important thing is that this mom is upset with her child smoking weed.
Some moms are "cool" that way and they will partake with their child, which is their business. But this poster is upset and is looking for advice.
As i said earlier. My daughter started smoking when she was 14, and at the age of 27 nearly lost her life from drug use.
I have seen the devestation and pain that this stuff causes. What started out with pot ended up 13 years later with heroin and everything in between.
I saw a beautiful, vibrant and healthy young women turn into a frail, sick, and tormented pitifull shell. I saw her behind bars, i saw her try to de tox, i saw it and it's a fate worse than death.
So, as one mom to another, get in the way no matter how obnoxious you get. If i can help prevent one child and one mother of having to go thru what we did, i will be happy.

Then her mother needs to get counselling to deal with her distress. The fact is, it's not ethical to deny someone else THEIR choice because YOU'RE uncomfortable with it.

You miss the point; I was merely referring to your ad hominem comment that "the approval rate is coming from the younger generation".

And I am giving advice.

That indicates an underlying problem that led to harder and harder drug use as an escape route. Studies are not conclusive about pot being a gateway drug.

Pot doesn't do these things, heroin does. As I have said, there is no conclusive evidence of pot being a gateway drug.

You obviously think that you are right, not only with this issue, but with several others in the forum.
I am not denying anyone of their choices, i said i didn't care about that.
As far as the approval rate, i meant on this particular posters damn issue.
No you are NOT giving advice.
And as far as MY child having underlying problems that led to her near demise, that i can not tell for sure. But towards the last 5 years of her problem, she fell in love with a Pharmacist who was able to steal drugs from dead cancer patients, which cought up to him and disabled him from practice.
Don't you dare sir try to explain the "why's" "what if's" and friggin "could have beens" to me. Pot is not proven to be a gate way drug, i will reluctantly have to agree with you, but i have been to enough AA meetings to know that it is possible, and nine times out of ten, weed was just the start.
There is NO parent who would approve of their youngster smoking pot and no mom who would happily explain the detailed joys of sex to their 6 year old (as one of your other replys) or giving their under age child alcohol, and if they do, they are breaking the law.

My, but you're good at muddling the issues. I'll tackle the offtopic first:

Yes, I think I'm right. Otherwise, I would not make claims in the first place.
No, they are not breaking the law; giving a minor alcohol in the home is legal specifically in six states, and consumption of alcohol by a minor is legal in twenty. Further, since prosecuting this is impossible (getting information to make an arrest would require breach of privacy), it's merely a paper law (much like existing sodomy laws).
I can name you parents I know for all three.

I was not referring to an approval rate on any other issues. I am unsure what you mean.
While I am, in your opinion, giving bad advice, you cannot reasonably deny that I am giving advice.
AA meetings only show you the sample of the population that DOES have a problem, without showing you the sample that has no problem.

To the original poster: I'm very sorry for disrupting your thread like this. Please revert to my original post and leave my contribution at that; if you would like to ask anything, please do so.

I smoke weed and I have Asthma and it actually works just as good as my Inhaler from my doc. And i have bipolar and it helps when im depressed better than my medicine i take For It Lithium 600 mg Daily. Weed for some reason got a bad wrap and is made out to be way worse than it is.

Im 17 & I just started smoking pot a little over a month ago, I've only gotten high 3 or 4 times and yes its fun & gives you a rush but I totally understand why a parent would be upset. My mom just found our two nights ago what I was up to, someone called her in the middle of the night and told her everything about me smoking, how this person knew all this im not really sure but now im grounded and in serious trouble. Not because I did it but because I lied to her when she asked me. In my opinion pot is not a big deal. I think you should talk to her and explain your feelings to her about it and her behavior. Theres nothing worse then hearing that your mom is disapointed in you, honestly if i could take it all back I would. Yeah it was fun for that while that I did it, but it definitely wasn't worth hurting my mom over. I feel really bad now my summer is ruined because im grounded. Just don't freak out too much but let her know your opinions on it. It really sucks in my case because im a very good student and athlete. I live in a very small town and people know everyone, I was always looked at as a good kid and have never gotten in trouble with the cops, I just decided to try pot and i did it a few times and didn't really think of it as that big of a deal, but the person that called my mom also said they were calling the cops and telling them everything and everyone who was ever with me, now I feel like this town looks at me differently and the cops will always have an eye on me. I want to go back to when everyone thought I was a good kid.