Hi. I have a teen daughter (16). She won`t talk to me. I don`t know what to do. Whatever I say is wrong, whatever I do is even worse. I want to help her with her problems, to give her advice or few, but she refuses to talk. I fear she has big problems. Maybe she is just a normal teen girl?

Hi. I have two boys, one is 16 and the other is 18 years old. They can be really annoying. Sometimes they won`t share their problems with me. They can easily talk with their friends, but not with my husband or me. You can be your daughter`s friend, but it is more important just to be her mom. She probably has many friends, but only one mom. In time, she will understand the importance of family. Never give up. Try to talk to her whenever you can.

Even if she hates you for it at the time, you have to put your foot down. If you suspect she is involved with something she isn't, you have to do something about it. I was like that with my mother, couldn't stand how strict she was. I am 27 and have a wonderful relationship with her, I now realized she was being a great mother. She has enough friends, you don't have to be her friend, you need to be her mother first, friend later.

Some teens will not talk to their parents for fear of being judged hatshely.

AT 16, a teen can get birth control easily without you knowing, and she may do this because she feels you would be displeased.

Perhaps you should consider the approach my RN mother did with me, AND I TOLD HER EVERYTHING.

SHE sat me down and said this to me "You are a young woman, and I am so proud of your grades, and proud of your achievments. I want you to know that you can come to me about anything, I am not gonna scream and yell at you, or fight you. I want to make sure you have birth control, condoms, and whatever you need healthwise."

My mother was MY mother, my confidant, and my friend. I felt like I could tell her my deepest fears and concerns, and she would try and help me make it better.

I NEVER EVER ONCE tried drugs.