Hi, I would like to talk to you about my best friend. I think she has drinking problems. I mean, she has changed a lot. She skips classes constantly, her hair is always greasy and it seems the clothes she wears are horrible. Now she has some new friends and I know they are trouble. I don't even know how she gets alcohol, since we are sixteen years old. I am very concerned about her. What should I do about my friend and her drinking?

Hi, your friend is showing a classic behavior of a teenager with some kind of substance abuse problem. I think you have seen your friend drinking and it is natural you are worried about her. The only thing you can do is try to talk to your friend. You shouldn't let her get into more serious trouble. Usually, when teenagers turn to alcohol, something more serious is troubling them. Your friend has some kind of problem, but doesn't want to talk to anyone about it. Approach her when she is alone and start a conversation. Try to find out what is bothering her. If you can't reach her, don't hesitate to talk to someone older. The best choice are her parents or maybe a school counselor. You shouldn't feel like you are betraying her, you are helping her. She could destroy her life if she continues this way. Sometimes, grownups can be very helpful. So again, talk to her parents about your worries. They will be able to provide professional help if necessary.