I am a mother of three kids and one of them is 13 years old and I have noticed some changes in her behavior. I know that this period might be hard for her but I hope she will pull through without any consequences to our relationship. Since both my parents had drinking issues, and she knows about it, I am concerned for her. Will talking help in prevention of underage drinking in teens?

Talking, educating, and letting her know that she can always confide in you. I think those are the basic rules a parent should stick to. But I am still far from those problems, simply because my kids are still too young. I sometimes try to remember what was I like in that period, and honestly, I become afraid, there are so many things to look out for, when it comes to teenagers.

You have to be honest and direct with your daughter, she is not a little girl anymore and she understands everything. You have mentioned drinking problems already exist in your family so I guess she already has a clear picture what alcohol can do. I guess all she need is just a little support and help and there is no way she would use alcohol.

I think that the teenagers who are in contact with drinking problems might go to one of two extremes. They can either start drinking themselves or completely abandon the thought of even trying alcohol once. That was my case too. My father had and still has a drinking problem, and even though I take a drink occasionally, once in a month perhaps, I actually don't even like the taste of it. I guess it brings up some bad memories...