Help, when I drink margaritas or wine coolers, I get shoulder cramps and an uncomfortable pain in my chest after drinking alcohol. Even with just 1/2 a drink! It's so painful I almost begin to panic. Then the ridiculus belching follows. If I'm having a glass of wine, I don't have this problem. Does anyone know what is causing it so it won't be trial & error with every new drink? :-(

I'm just curious if you found an answer to your question. I've been experiencing the same type of problem, intense chest, right shoulder and arm pain and stomach cramping about a couple drinks. It used to happen if I drank wine or rarely and now it happens all the time. Any info would be great.

I experience the same thing, however the pain is just in my shoulders. It can get pretty bad too. I've found that when I am stressing or when I am close to getting my period, the pain appears in my shoulders after a few drinks. Anything has alcohol will pretty much do it. I always thought it was hereditary because the same thing will happen to my mother.

I get the same thing, mainly with any kind of carbonated alcohol, even after half a glass. I've had it for years and am an occasional drinker. I think it might have something to do with a funky nerve in the stomach and I'm sure its nothing serious.

I have had this problem since I was a teenager. I just thought this was a blessing in disguise (I never started drinking because of the pain it caused me). I am now nearly 40 and I too thought this problem was inherited. Neither of my parents drank. My dad was killed in an automobile accident two years ago and I never thought to ask him why. However, I did discuss this with my mother a few years back and discovered that she had similar symptoms when she was young. She never became a drinker.

Although I’m glad that I never became a drinker, it has caused people to form an opinion about me (thinking that I am somewhat stuck-up). The fact of the matter is I never started because of the excruciating pain that it caused me many years ago. I would love to know what causes this pain.

I recently saw a lady on the news with these symptoms while drinking and found out that she had Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I pray that this is not the case since I have had this condition for at lease 20 years, I do think so.

***

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

Well heres a hint... Your Drinking Alcohol!!! Alcohol screws with your body, so maybe dont drink? Just a thought, seems pretty obvious though.

drinking alcohol + pain = bad news

Even though most people tend to state the obvious....."if it hurts, don't do it".
This doesn't solve any problems. it only hides them by avoiding the problem. Obviously something is not right or you wouldn't be having the pains. I recommend seeing a doctor to at least give you an idea of what it could be. For all you know it could be a heart related issue and by not drinking alcohol just doesn't bring the problem up front. this doesn't mean that the problem goes away. its just not brought to your attention. not to scare you but the last thing you want to do is leave a possibly serious issue hidden by a specifically related symptom.

I do not wish to scare anyone, but my best friend in the world had these exact symtoms , an consequently was never much of a drinker - just one , just really watered down , occasionally. She was however smoker and a diet yo-yo'er. She had been deteriorating health wise for a couple of years, since about 47}, so that I noticed- and when she finally went to the doctor, they found she was in stage 4 metastisized malenoma - inoperable, incurable { with americas current medine }- I don't know if these things are connected, but if you have insurance or the income, by all means, get a full physical and make sure you mention this odd reaction to the dr checking you out. Good luck and I hope it is nothing serious for all of you. :idea:

I appreciate that you offered your idea, but I have serious doubts that this is from melanoma. I have this problem too, with cramping in the shoulders from carbonated alcohol, so I don't even try it anymore. I go for very regular body screenings by a dermatologist because I grew up in the sun. If I had melanoma, believe me I would know it. I've wondered for a while if the alcohol somehow reacts with tight muscles, maybe a reaction to lactic acid. It's strange how it occurs in the shoulders very specifically. Would love to know if anyone knows the cause

I get the same tensed up muscles in my shoulders after 1 drink. It can be very painful. It almost always goes away after the second drink. I used to get VERY bad stomach pains after a few drinks but that went away when I stopped drinking beer and wine coolers. I only drink mixed liquor drinks now.

I have experienced the same things for 33 years on and off. Even Orange Crush does it. Last night Sprite did it. Its intense...almost the description of a heart attack, it passes in about 20-30 minutes. I've looked for years at what ingredients I might be allergic to, but this is the first time I've found people experiencing same symptoms. Validation is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

I believe it is a build up of acidity. If you've eaten greasy food that's hard on your liver ealier in the day and your liver is still processing the toxins from the junk food, rapidly drinking more toxins (carbonated beverages, high tabacco content cigs like cloves, or alcohol, etc) can overload your liver, which lets in too many toxins into the blood stream. These cause acid build up in lean tissues that are not designed for it (i.e. cartilage and muscle)....

It can be caused by an allergic reaction to the alcohol. I've had these symptoms for a while, mine goes away after a few mnts. The pain is usually in the shoulders and the chest. I think its a little silly for people to just say don't drink. It's not as simple as that sometimes. So you could be a little or a lot allergic depending on how bad the pain is. When I do eat just before drinking I usually don't feel any of the symptoms. And greasy food afterward to avoid hangovers too! I would try some bread, rice or pasta just before. Please see if it works for you! <3

In case anyone else comes across this thread while googling "shoulder/neck pain induced by alcohol," I want to add some information about the unique link between alcohol induced neck pain and Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes. I had this alcohol pain in 2006 and couldn't find an answer for 9 months. Eventually I was diagnosed with stage II cancer. I am healthy today but always trying to help others to avoid waiting so long to figure it out.

Pain in the neck, back, or chest that starts after drinking a small amount of alcohol and then subsides within a half hour--- is a very rare but very specific symptom of Hodgkin's. The good news it that its usually a very early symptom if that's what it is. The other good news is that Hodgkin's, while very serious, has a very high cure rate.

Other symptoms (although you may not have them --I didn't) could be night sweats, fever, unexplained weight loss, or a hard swollen lymph node (clavicle area, groin, neck).

Here is a medical article explaining the symptom (be sure to click through to the 2nd page as well, where it described the symptom). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1010854/?page=1

Ask your doctor about running some tests.Typically blood work and ultra sounds are not enough. A chest x-ray would be a good place to start but a biopsy (surgical not needle) is the only way to get a definite diagnosis.

The alcohol is irritating your liver!