Hi, I need some advice, because I don't know how to deal with this situation. My teen daughter is drinking with friends. I know this because I have smelled alcohol on her on more than one occasion. When I confronted her with this she told me I don't know what I am talking about. I want to help my daughter, but I have no idea how. Could you tell me what I should do?

Hi, teenagers can sometimes be a handful. I know that you are worried about your daughter, but I think you are taking a wrong approach when it comes to this problem. First of all, teenagers usually turn to drinking when they feel depressed. You shouldn't talk to your daughter when you see she has been drinking. Try talking to her when the effects of alcohol wear off. Do not criticize her behavior, but be supportive. Ask what is troubling her. Show compassion towards her feelings. The second scenario is that teenagers are very curios and want to try new stuff. You shouldn't forbid her to drink alcohol because this way you will achieve totally different effect. Instead, explain the negative effects of alcohol and the dangers she is putting herself in. If you are calm and reasonable in your conversations, you can hope your daughter will listen to reason.

probly a bit late for me to say this but sese you say you have only smelld it on her i would say that she has not to the point of being drunk. she probly has only drank like a few beers or shots to the point of being tipsy. this is not to large problem but talk to her about how you dont feel comfortable with her drinking but tell her if she does get drunk that she can call you for a ride home