Hello there. I am doing some research according to behavior of my friend. I know, it is tough to be with her every single day and to drink coffee with her, listening to her problems, but I just can't stop analyzing her. She is a very good girl, friendly, good looking, amazing friend. But I have noticed one thing - whenever she is taking some heavy drinks, she is totally different. She starts to be...let's say depressed. I am almost sure that she is depressed in those situations. Anyway, maybe I am wrong, but I want to know just to be sure - can heavy drinking make someone depressed? 

Good day. 

My answer is - absolutely! Usually, when people are depressed, they start to believe that alcohol is their good friend. This is one of those ways how depressed people are trying to run away from their problems. At the beginning, you can think that you are feeling much better, but this is not true. The only truth is that alcohol can only make the symptoms of depression worse and this is because alcohol is a type of drug known as a depressant – which means that can make you even more depressed.

So, depression and alcohol are not that good friends.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean that she is suffering from depression. Alcohol wakes up the feelings that are you having at the moment of drinking so if you are happy, you are going to be extremely happy after taking alcohol. However, if you are sad, you will be very sad and you might look depressed.

However, after some time of consuming alcohol (if you are one of these sad people) it can eventually lead to depression, that is true. When a person who is already suffering from depression starts to drink alcohol, it is going to make his or her depression even worse.

Yes it can, it is just like Guest said, drinking shows what you carry deep inside of you so if you are sad and depressed deep inside, it will come up to the surface. However, I myself am wondering if alcohol can really make someone depressed who isn't really depressed, you know, if alcohol can be the true cause of depression but I think that it is not possible, something else must be the cause of it and alcohol is definitely one of the triggers then. Alcohol is a problem for people who are suffering from depression, they tend to become addicted.

Well, I really do believe that she is having problems with alcohol. I forgot to mention that her best friend just moved away and she took it really bad. She always was drinking more than us, but I never could imagine that those problems can affect her in this way. She is totally different, she is now talking to me, but that is not that often, it is rare. I remember that we took beer once instead of coffee, and for a couple of minutes she was so away, she started to cry. Now, I told you, whenever she starts to talk about heavy drinks, she is depressed. She is even worse when she is drinking. I want to help her.

I don't think that you can help her. If she was so close with that friend who left, I suppose that she is depressed because that person left and I am assuming that only that person would be able to help her. Does she have anyone else around who could be there for her, like family or maybe a boyfriend? She is going down a path that is not good at all and I am afraid that if she continues with this, it is going to end pretty bad for her. Could you maybe contact that friend of hers and tell her/him about this?

Yes, even if a person is not depressed and doesn't show any signs of depression, drinking too much and too often can cause this person to become depressed. People who are depressed usually find comfort in booze but after some time of consuming alcohol their depression just gets worse.

I don't think that there is anything that you can do to help this person. I guess that the only thing left for you to do is to talk to her in four eyes, if that doesn't work there is really nothing else that you could do in order to help her.

Trust me, there is no chance that you can help her. I had almost the same situation as you did. I was there for this girl (even if we were not a friends at all) but I felt sorry for her since everyone abandoned her. But I also noticed one thing - whenever she drinks around me, she starts to make me feel even more depressed than I am, than I was before.

So, I have tried to talk to her, telling her that she needs to seek for help, but nothing. She was refusing it. I am sorry because I need to tell you this, but you need to stay away from that person because she doesn't want to have any help. That is so obvious. 

Been there, seen that. Because of heavy drinks and alcohol, I lost a lot of my friends who tried to help me when they saw me in really bad situations in my life. Alcohol and other heavy drinks made me really depressed and I was not able to deal with it. My good friend (well, ex friend) was there for me telling me that I really need to seek for help. I attacked him telling him that he don't know a thing about this, and I asked him to leave. So, he did. He never came back again. He was the only one who stood there by my side, and I chased him away. So, I know from my own experience that no one can help you, you are the only one who can do something about it.