Hello there! My husband has been grinding his teeth so loud at nights during sleep that he has been waking me up without being aware of it. How common is such often eeth grinding?

This disorder is called Bruxism. One can grind their teeth so hard that significant amounts of tooth structure can be lost over time. This insidious destruction of enamel can be quite extensive, causing more loss of tooth structure than even severe tooth decay. I heard of a device called nightguard which is aid to be the best treatment for bruxism. A night guard is a thin piece of hard plastic made from impressions of your teeth placed on the upper or lower teeth. It is hard enough to be durable, but since it is softer than teeth it will protect them from wear. Maybe your husband should go to the dentist, tell him the story, so that he can advise him what would be the best solution.