My husband tells me that I have this clicking noise while I sleep. He says it is loud enough to wake him up. What is it and how can I fix it?

It could be your jaw (TMD) you could be grinding your teeth...or most likely you are actually clicking your tongue when you sleep... You could see your dentist and try a mouth guard... or go to the store and purchase a good ol' boil and wear sports guard first and give that a try and see if it helps (wear when you sleep) If it does but is uncomfortable a dentist can make you a custom made one that would be more comfortable (but can be a little costly)
SOmetimes having a MD prescribe you a tricylic antidepressant (low dose) can help with any of these issues but this would be something to speak with your doc or dentist about...
try the sports guard...but if you are clicking your tongue you need to find a way sleep more restfully so you wont do that...like the tricyclic (low-dose elavil is the most common) good luck

This is soooooooooooo strange. I have this clicking noise when i try to go to bed as well. it happens when i exhale. when i inhale, nothing happens. it only clicks when i exhale. it sounds like it's coming from the upper throat area, but not too sure. today, i went to my dentist and said that he recommends i need a mouth guard to stop my grinding. apparently, i grind my teeth without even knowing it. i thought he was crazy because i think this is something i would know if i was doing it. anyways, i'm going to go get a mouth guard and use it at night when i go to bed. i'm curious if this will be the trick to getting rid of this stupid clicking sound. it's so annoying and it disrupts me from falling asleep because it's so loud and annoying.

I also have this problem if happens when i try to sleep and when i exhale it clicks, sometimes it goes away when i clear my throat but the rest of the time nothing.

I have a cold right now. I was getting the clicking in my upper throat when lying on my left side, back, and stomach. Right side was fine UNTIL last night. Now it clicks in all positions but sitting upright. I am hoping to be over this soon so I can finally get some sleep!

Its got nothing to do with your jaw or teeth grinding. Its a form of snoring. The clicking happens when you breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth (most common cause) or vice versa. The clicking noise is from your tongue and/or soft palate moving back and forth at the back of your throat as it shifts to allow the air to be exhaled.

I to have the same problem .. of clicking and its not due to teeth its in the upper area of throat and its from past 3 months I Think it came to me due to Cold and dry throat but seems will fade away soon

Some of you maybe experiencing this on a short term basis (colds/allergies etc.) and I hope for your sake that it does clear up when you are feeling better but I have had this for years! My husband is about to loose his mind as evidenced by storming out of the bedroom last night in frustration as he was unable to sleep through my noises. No matter how many times he wakes me, I change positions etc it just wouldn't stop.

It's worse when I'm really tired or have had a few glasses of wine etc but I think that it's because I'm in a deep sleep. It doesn't happen everyday but certainly on a regular basis.

Has anyone else been experiencing this for a long time? Feeling defeated today about how to stop something I'm not aware I'm doing :-(

Hmm. Out of interest, do you feel like you have mucus / congestion in your throat?

I have the same problem as you and think it has only arisen over the last few years though that may just be because my last two partners have been light sleepers! I can hear myself clicking as I breathe just before I go to sleep and anyone who sleeps in the same room as me reports that it carries on through the night. It's better if I try to fall asleep with my mouth shut and breathe only through my nose but still seems to come on during the night even if I do this.

I think it is (gross alert) due to excess mucus in the back of my throat blocking my airway and then 'clicking' as it stretches and clears as I breathe. I find myself coughing up mucus every other day or so. I am not a smoker and have no lung problems or dust/mould allergies that I know of so a bit of internet research suggests it may be down to post-nasal drip.

I too am desperate to find a decent solution, if only so I don't put current and future boyfriends off with my noisy sleeping! It seems as though there is no easy fix but drinking a lot of water (to thin the mucus) and using a saline nose spray to moisturise your nose and thin the stuff going down the back of it sound like the most effective. I've yet to stick with both long enough to see if they actually work.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

I have the same issue. When I lye down to sleep and exhale , I make a clicking or sometime like a little voice noise from my throat. If I clear my throat it goes away for a few minutes but then comes back. I usually only have it when I lye down.

I have this same thing, except it didn't start until after my wisdom teeth were removed. I click on inhales, in the upper rear right side of my mouth. Sometimes it helps angling my head a different way (usually higher) but most of the time I just have to deal with it while trying to fall asleep, and it's so annoying! My boyfriend doesn't hear it, so maybe it just sounds loud to me since it's in my own mouth. The feeling and sound are so weird. I thought maybe my oral surgeon tore hole in my sinus? Not sure, and not sure how to stop it. Is this something that I should go to the doctor for, or am I stuck with it?

My husband has the clicking sound at night too. Which is why I am awake now. It drives me crazy. I think it comes from his throat. If I nudge him and wake him up he stops but it starts up again. If I can get to sleep before it starts again I am good.

I'm in college and my roomate says I make a weird clicking sound about once either other night. He says I always do it in clicks of 3, but it's loud enough to wake him up.... haha, i'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does it!

I've had this problem atleast 10+ years. I've been told by multiple people I click while I sleep. And I actually caught myself doing it one night in a semi awake state.

My daughter does this, although we call it clucking lol.. She sounds like a chicken clucking in her sleep. She is 15 and we have heard it for years. We just went on a cruise and being stuck in the same room with her for a week and listening to her cluck all night long was unbearable. She seems to cluck more when she is turning over or stirring. But she will also cluck while laying still.