I start dating a guy... and last night was the first time I slept over at his place. I woke up in the middle of the night, terrified. I heard something like scratching of the teeth. I think that is called bruxism. It was so laud and he wasn’t even aware of that. I told him that next morning he said that he knows about bruxism, but that there is nothing that he can do about it. I don’t know what to do. I can’t sleep like that? What causes bruxism? Is there a treatment for it?

My boyfriend did that too. I got used on it with time, but there are so many sleepless nights behind me. I told him to find out what is the cause of bruxism so that we can do something about it. But it is unclear, the dentist believe it is due to a lack of symmetry in the teeth, others, that it reflects anxiety, digestive problems or a disturbed sleep pattern. He had problem with ulcer and digestion, but even with a therpay for that there was bruxing during the night. There is no accepted cure as yet. Ongoing management of bruxism is based on prevention of the abrasion of tooth surfaces.

You can get the dentist to make a night guard. It takes a little getting used to but it will reduce the grinding.