Hello! My friend has temporal lobe epilepsy. As she can’t explain to me what happens to her at the time of the seizures, I wanted to ask somebody else to do this because I would really like to know what my friend is going through. The only thing she did tell me that she was hit by a car when she was a young girl. She was in hospital bc of concussion, and had no other problems until a couple of years ago when her seizures started.

It may vary what happens during seizures, but there are some common patterns. There may be a mixture of different feelings, emotions, thoughts, and experiences, and they can be both familiar and completely foreign. Hallucinations like voices, music, people, smells, or tastes may occur. They are called “auras” or “warnings.” They may last for just a few seconds, or a minute or two. Experiences during temporal lobe seizures vary in intensity and quality. Sometimes the seizures are so mild that the person doesn’t even notices. In other cases, the person may be consumed with fright, intellectual fascination, or even pleasure. These seizures are very hard to explain. Different medicines are used now in order to stop seizures from happening.