I am going through brain surgery/epilepsy surgery in just over a month and am concerned as well as my family regarding this decision. This is a big step I am about to take... Ten years ago it was mentioned I should have surgery to remove the tumor and epilepsy but I could wait and watch. Current symptoms have been present to make surgery a choice very soon. I will be undergoing two surgeries one for mapping and another for the actual removal. My concern is how long for recovery after the actual surgery in left temporal lobe? Has anyone had surgery in the left temporal lobe? Once home, how long before I would be able to go back to my normal usual activities? I am currently unemployeed which is another reason for having the surgery now. I want to start looking for work ASAP after the surgery.

I have a friend who had this surgery several years ago and remember her being off of work for about seven weeks. She spent a week in the hospital following surgery and then six weeks at home recovering. Every person is different and recovery time will vary but plan on being unable to work for at least six weeks and then it will depend on the nature of your new job as to how soon you can get back into the workforce. Be sure to check with your surgeon as well and be open about your plans. They may be able to give you a better indication of when you can plan on going back to work. With a supportive family and ample rest (not over-doing it) recovery time can be lessened.