Hello! Can anybody explain to me if there are any risk factors for developing testicular melanoma? Is this cancer dangerous? I know one guy who died from it. Anyway, the reason I ask is that I heard some guys talking about it in the bus and I realized that I know nothing about testicular cancer. Is there anybody who could tell me a little bit on this topic?

Hello to you too! It seems to me that you didn’t get everything right from that bus conversation. The thing is that there is no testicular menaloma. There is a testicular cancer which is testis cancer and melanoma, which is one of the 3 skin cancers. I suppose you would still like to hear things about testicular cancer. It is a rare form of cancer. It happens to men between the ages of 20 and 49. Testicular cancer is one of the most treatable forms of cancer, with cure rates approaching 100% if detected early. There are some risk factors but even if you have any of the risk factors, this doesn’t mean you will develop testicular cancer. The main risk factor for testicular cancer is a condition called cryptorchidism, or undescended testicles. Most cryptorchid testicles eventually descend on their own in the child's first year. Sometimes a surgical procedure known as orchiopexy is necessary to bring the testicle down into the scrotum. Family history of testicular cancer can also be a risk factor. Also, an unusual condition, in which multiple pigmented spots or moles are found particularly on the back, chest, abdomen and face, is associated with an increased risk of developing testicular cancer. If a person has developed cancer in one testis, there are chances that he may develop it in another as well. As for the body size, some Swedish scientists found out that body size was a risk factor; the highest risk was seen in tall, slim men.