I’m here trying to understand how it is possible that my GP refuses to prescribe test strips for me while my friend who also has type 2 gets them prescribed easily by her GP. Does it have something to do with insurance? We are both in our 60s, we both have DM2 since about the same time, we both have the same medication ( metformin) and we both have sometimes good , sometimes not so good HbA1c. My conclusion: tests strips and the docs , a matter of luck! And I’m the unlucky one now. Has anybody succeeded  in trying to convince the doctor to prescribe them or will I have to buy them myself?

Hi there! You are aright that there are a lot of differences in the policy of prescribing test strips for DM2 diabetes. But even if I’m not going to make you happy, sorry, the guidelines are more in the direction of not testing BG at home for DM2. The evidence shows that type 2 diabetes patients (without insulin) have less stress if they don’t control BG values at home. The doctor can design a good treatment just with HbA1c and one fasting BG. And there are two reasons: one is because DM2 medications cannot be changed daily according to the result (which actually is the reason why patients with diabetes and insulin do that), and the second reason is that if blood glucose is good the patients have a tendency to take less care of what they eat, and we don’t want that to happen too. Considering those two reasons I would suggest that you try to be at least one month without testing your BG and see if maybe your doctor’s position is a good one. If at the end you arrive to the conclusion that it isn’t, you will have at least be happy that you tried it.

The reality of getting test strips is whether your insurance will cover them when they are prescribed to you. I don't know why the GP would refuse to prescribe them unless he/she has some type of parameters that is the guideline to prescribing. You can buy test strips on your own without a prescription. They do run high in price; approximately $80 for a vial of 50 you are looking at. Of course, if you do not test everyday, then you would not need to purchase them as frequently. I hope that the doctor will just prescribed them for you. Ask if you can just have a few vials for the year for a prescription and see what happens.