What happens when you run out of testing strips on a repeat prescription?  I have 12 for the whole year to last me and I have used 5 prescriptions so far and I have only 7 left to use for the next 9 months... what should I do?  Cut back on my readings or should I ask the doctor to prescribe more?

Test strips can be refilled just like prescriptions.  If you run out of test strips, just call your doctor about getting more.  On the other hand, you should see if your insurance company will cover more test strips for you.  The company's policy may be that it will cover only some many refills per year.  If you pay for them out-of-pocket, then you will not need to worry about that.

You shouldn’t have to spread your test strips out but I don’t think you need to check your blood sugar that often unless you are just starting out with the diabetes or you are on insulin? I wouldn’t want to poke myself repeatedly every day if I didn’t have to. Lol. I know my doctor wanted to know all of my different blood sugars that I had as I started my diabetic diet. But after he saw my list of menus and blood sugars he said to take it when I felt like it. I wasn’t sure if that was a great thing for him to say. I think that it keeps me accountable and if my blood sugars are going up, I can do something about it. If I don’t do that, I don’t know when the hyperglycemia is going to creep up on me. It is just a good idea for the government medical society to be encouraging diabetics to check their blood sugars and ensure that they are watching the sugars.