I test my mum’s blood glucose (she’s afraid of doing it herself) once a day in the morning or sometimes when she thinks that she has hypoglycemia. She has DM2 and takes metformin and sulfonylureas. When we go to the GP, sometimes he said we don’t need to check it every day. I agree with him, we should do it when she is not feeling ok and maybe once  a week, especially because her HbA1c is very good. Actually I find them also very expensive, a dollar or more per strip??? I heard also that in some countries they are rationing the test strips, which I can understand for some type 2 diabetics…But why are they so expensive?? 

Hello! That’s a good question. If you would  calculate how much it really costs to make one strip you will arrive to the shocking answer that it costs around 20 cents per strip! Yes. This means that the retail price of one dollar is much much higher. It’s a markup of approximately 70-90% in some cases! And then you may ask yourself why this happens? I just can tell you the answer we get from the makers of the strips, the manufacturers of the strips: they tell us that they spend an incredibly big amount of money in other variables than the strip, like for example: research of new types of strips, development of the existing ones, quality process and clinical studies.  So the conclusion is that the strip itself is not expensive in terms of raw material, because it costs a lot to make them. Whether government regulating authorities can do something about this is a very complicated legal issue especially because there are not enough arguments to contest the manufactures’ explanation. There is too much money involved in this issue too – just try to guess how many strips they produce per day 

I agree that as long as her blood sugars are within normal range, she should not need to check her blood glucose frequently. If she has a notion that she needs to check it because she feels that her blood sugar is low, it would be good to check it in that circumstance. Other than that, she should be ok without daily monitoring. Test strips ARE expensive and hopefully they will go down in price in the future. There will be more and more people becoming diagnosed with diabetes and this will be a factor that will drive costs down.

Yes it is shocking how expensive the strips are, the pharmaceutical companies are making massive profits on these strips. Unfortunately the price of the strips are set by these big companies. Diabetes strips can be an added worry when they are so expensive to buy. It may be worth shopping around for a different meter and comparing the price of their strips, in the long run it could save you quite a bit of money. Sometimes it can work out cheaper by bulk buying so this is worth looking into also.. Always check that the strips are well within their expiration date tho, if bulk buying