Has anyone had problems with type of test strips entitlement? Recently, I was told by my GP that all his patients would have to use a diabetes meter from another company. I didn't feel that the particular meter was the right one for me. I explained to my doctor that I wanted to stay with my old system and his reply was that I would have to buy my own test strips since the new meter wasn't compatible with the strips I use. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone had this happen and if so what did you do. Please advise.

My question to you would be why you don't feel the new meter is a good choice for you?  I believe most meters are accurate for the most part and operate the same.  Any more, they come up with your result within 3 seconds versus the old models that took close to a minute to come up with a reading.  I am aware that test strips are very expensive.  You may want to check with the insurance company to see if they will cover test strips in your current meter before taking the word of the doctor.  He may be just trying to sell them for this particular company.  It would be best if you called your insurance company just to be sure.

I haven't encountered this problem yet and surely hope don't. If you doctor is changing companies for meters, I don't think there's is anythings you can do. It doesn't to talk to him/her. Honestly it sounds like the company and the doctor are cahoots. There may be some mutual benefit going on between your doctor and the company. I think you're not going to have any options other than to go with the meter and of course test strips. Otherwise, as your doctors says, you'll have to buy your own. My guess is that you will have to make that decision soon. If you really like you old meter and you can obviously afford buying your own test strips, I would stick with the old meter. You might even consider getting another doctor and perhaps one that still uses the meter you have. That's the only other thing I can think of. I hope this is of some help, but you really have a difficult situation. See if you can do a search on the computer for local doctors and see if you can get information on what meters they use and give them a call and tell them your situation. You never know they may be able to help you.