Has anyone seen the complaint response from the Department of Health in reference to test strips?  The way I read it is that test strips cannot be refused to anyone.  Is that what you gather from the report?

I am not familiar with the response of a complaint to the Deptartment of Health.  I did see some evidence on it online about the availability of test strips to diabetics that need them to continue to self-monitor.  Are there others that are more familiar with this?

Some guy made a complaint to the department of health about his local Primary Care Trust (PCT) taking and implementing a policy of “non-prescription” for type 2s who are not insulin dependent. He was making a point that diabetic testing is essential and helps people manage their diabetes and also avoiding hypoglycemia. The complaint entails the fact that decisions involving self-monitoring should be on an individual basis. All medical professionals and the patient should be all involved to plan and prescribe things like test strips. He believes the PCT should not be discouraging the prescribing of testing strips and that doing so contradicts what the NICE recommends.

I think it is terrible that people cannot have supplies needed to keep their blood sugars at a normal level. Testing supplies are needed as a gauge to watch their blood sugars. Without that knowledge, diabetics may think they are doing well with their diet and is actually having hyperglycemia many times throughout the week but they wouldn’t know it because they can’t test their blood. The fact that these diabetics could have some serious implications with hyper or hypoglycemic events could cost more in healthcare costs for the government than if they would just pay for the test strips and be done with it. The government needs to think of long term more serious consequences.