My neighbor told me that the NHS is legally obliged to give you test strips?  Is this correct in information?  I would like to know because I need help getting test strips for my meter.  Any information about this matter would be greatly appreciated!

The NHS is to provide test strips to type 1 and type 2 diabetics.  There have been talks about their restricting test strips due to budget cuts but there has been quite a bit of backlash on this move.  It is important that diabetics are able to self-monitor their blood sugars for many reasons.  Monitoring helps a diabetic know if a hypoglycemic episode is coming on, for instance.  Then something can be done before a medical crisis comes about.  Another reason is to be able to prevent hypoglycemia when operating a motor vehicle by checking the BG before entering the vehicle.  Keeping track of blood sugars help many diabetics to know how effective their diet is and helps some stay compliant on their diabetic program.  The benefit of offering test strips is cost-effective because treating complications of high or low blood sugars is more expensive. 

NHS should give diabetics their supplies and it should not be picky about who gets them either. I hear that sometimes they try to be skimpy on giving out supplies to save money. There has to be other ways to save money rather than taking away from needy patients. That is the all time low for anyone. Diabetes complications can lead to limb loss, vision loss, and kidney failure. That will cost them a great some of money to say the least. Pay a small amount now and avoid paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for treatment for later. That seems to make sense to me, and plus ensure the quality of life for the many people who want to be proactive in their treatment.