So, before I started my detox of Suboxone, I was SOOOO freaked out reading everyone's blogs about it and how awful it was.  If you have anxiety about it, try not to read/focus on the bad ones.  I've was on opiates for about 6 years, went to rehab, got on Suboxone, which I've been taking about 5 years....all in all, 11 years of some sort of opiate!!!! Here are some points I wanted to make it about:

1.)  Yes, it's very uncomfortable for the first few days.  However, if women can go through childbirth, we can get through being sick for a little while. Make sure you have a solid support system in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  People who will stick by you and get you out of your head a little bit.   

2.)  DO IT UNDER A DR. SUPERVISION!  ON Suboxone.com they can refer you to someone, but fork out the money one way or another cuz it will make the biggest difference!!!  If there's anything that you should be spending your $ on, it's this!  AN ADDICTIONOLOGIST!!!  I've had a lot of judgment passed by just regular old doctors, and I"M SICK OF IT!

3.)  Everyone is DIFFERENT!  There is not enough information about suboxone, about the symptoms you will feel, or how long it will last.  It depends how long you've been on it, what dosing, and just your immune system in general.  I was on 6mg for about 5 years, and before that, about 30-40 vicodin/day.  

***4.)  TO MAKE IT THE MOST COMFORTABLE, YOU WILL NEED YOUR DR. TO PRESCRIBE YOU MEDS FOR THE SYMPTOMS.  I was originally prescribed Seroquil, Clonodine, and Requip (for restless legs).  Seroquil was giving me restless legs, so I switched to Trazedone.  During day 2-4, those meds just weren't cutting it (I felt like I was crawling out of my skin, like spiders under my skin that couldn't get out).  My dr. then put me on Valium (if you're an addict, BE CAREFUL and have someone help you monitor it).  The Valium WORKS WONDERS!  Most of all, it relieves my anxiety, depression, and most of all, the creepy crawlies in my legs!!  Just make sure it's monitored by a dr./partner/someone else....you don't want to get addicted to that!

5.)  If you can, take a week off work.  Your health is #1!  Plus, you are no good to anyone else if you're sick.  My first day off was a Friday, (I worked, but it was hard, but could still function)...then I had Friday through the following Sunday to do absolutely NOTHING but lay in bed and watch movies, and take baths.  I told my work I was going to be out of town, left a message on my cell phone & email, so I didn't have any obligations.  It's boring as hell, but just make sure you are stocked up with lots of movies.

6.)  Have someone who can check in on you, and if possible, take care of you and your household chores (that would be my husband).  He works though so I just have to live with the fact that my house is destroyed for a little bit.  

7.)  Be POSITIVE!  That's why reading some of the negative blogs can actually make you feel worse, because it scares the hell out of you (as it did for me)....the fear of the unknown was probably worse than the actual withdrawal.  Just remember, you WILL get through it!  Think about 5 years ago, and HOW fast 5 years goes by....even in a year from now, this will be a distant memory.  YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT!!!! I just keep telling myself that.  

My experience:  I weaned down to about 0.2mg by the time I was getting off it.  With the new films, it makes it extremely easy to cut up really small.  I was SO anxious about how it was going to be, and I kept picturing the Trainspotting scene where he gets handcuffed to the bathroom sink.  Ugh.....but you can't even compare it to that....it's not like that at all!

Day 1:  I was really agitated, and wanted to ram into all the bad drivers out there....I slept terribly because of SEVERE restless legs.  BUT, the next day my only job was to lay in bed and watch movies, so it was fine.  The restless legs have been my absolute worst symptom!  Baths really help, and my husband took me to reflexology which helped.  

Day 2-3: By far the worst because the half-life is roughly 37 hours, so my dr. said that's when people have the hardest time is between 37-72 hours.  Then, you'll slowly but steadily start feeling better.  

Day 4:  Getting better, restless legs are still bad, but I'm trying to keep it under control by staying on top of my meds.

Day 5-7:  Just feel like the flu, but steadily getting better.  

MY symptoms (doesn't mean it will be yours - I have been on it for A LONG TIME):  Basically, FOR ME, it feels like I have a pretty bad flu.  I definitely can't drive, just really out of it, and can't move very well.  So, for the people who say "work out" or "run", I say HA!  I'm a runner normally, and can barely even walk down my stairs.  The restless legs are killer but there are meds that can help for that.  Sleeping is hard sometimes, but I have the rest of the day to do nothing.  I cried a lot the first couple days, a little emotional, but my husband is INCREDIBLY supportive and always says the right thing, or I call my dr who gives me a pep talk!  

I'll leave you with a text my friend wrote me, she said it all perfectly:

"Just don't psych/stress yourself out...the human mind is very powerful.  It can heal and it can make you even more sick!  Stay positive, don't stress about how long, just think about cleansing your body.  I know you feel like you've tripped and fallen, but the finish line is right there, focus on it, and get there even if you have to crawl across that line!! You are SO much stronger than you realize!"  

ONCE YOU GO THROUGH IT NOW, YOU ARE DONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You will NEVER need to go through it again!!!!!

please help i have kids and i have rsd and cronic pain and more and i am supose to take 4  30mg of oxycodone a day and i habe been taking 8 and now i only have 9 left and dont go back til the 5th.  i took none yesterday and took a suboxone  in parts doing the day and it didnt seem to help at all i also have neruotin and valium.  i only have 1 and a xmall peice of suboxin left. i dont have noone for support. please tell me what to do please. im praying to god for support and i am scared.   tell me what to take to make it til the 5th of march out of the 1 suboxin and my neruontin an valilum. sorry for spelling words wrong   i just cant move off the couch and my house is a mess please help

(I'm not a dr.) but what I would recommend:

1. First of all, go to suboxone.com and find a dr. in your area. As soon as I was in a panic because I was almost out, I called an addictionologist and he immediately prescribed me some suboxone. The first visit it pretty pricey, but I suggest digging up the money somewhere. You DO NOT want to detox without a dr.'s supervision.

It's probably about time you get some social support for your problem. It sounds like you are just now realizing this is getting out of control, and now is the time to stop. If I had listened to my first instinct, I would've avoided A LOT of loss and tragedy. Accept that you may need help, and that it's SOOOOOOOOO common these days. I got hooked for the same reason (back pain).....before I knew it, my life was in shambles and all I cared about was making sure I didn't get sick.

You will have a hard time coming off that without any support. Meetings are a good place to start, and call an addictionologist to help you get some suboxone. They can wean you off for a week and you won't feel a thing! I've done it (but then I ended up going back on it for maintenance to prevent relapse). You will be fine!! if you do it with a dr. and meetings, you can make it....if i can, you can!

I can't go to a dr about this. I have issues leaving my house. I have rsd an cronic pain an bugging disk an I take 4 30 mg of oxycodone a day. But for first time I took extra an let someone I thought was a friend have some an I have 9 left till march 5 th. Ii got 3 suboxone an took. One yesterday an one today I have one left please tell me what to do to be good mom I have neurotin an Valium to help so please tell me how to make it till I go back. Please what do I take a day till I go back with what pills I have. Please. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

LolaLove415...your post is me in a nut shell, the text your friend sent you is right on point....I am starting myTAPERING now I am a week in orginall was on 20 mg methadone[on for 2 years slowly tapered to 20mgs]then went to 24 mgs subutex about 30 day ago..am a week in at 16 mgs ...so far so good...your positive posting and others like it really HELP..!

THANK YOU.....

you cant take opiods and suboxone ive been on suboxone 5 years and just stopped theres a difference in withdraw and dope sick you dont want to be dope sick either get clean with help from subs or stay on the opiods unless you have a made up mind you wont succeed want a hint on how to stay comfortable dont over do yours meds to get high

Thank you so much for your story. It gave me that extra confidence and encouragement I need. I too was on Suboxone. I was on it for 4 years. I went from 24mg, down to 12mg, 8mg and so on until I got to 2mg of Suboxone and that is where I jumped off. My last day was Friday, 8/17/12. The first night wasn't that bad. I took Benadryl and went right to sleep. The second night was a different story. I took the Clonidine my doctor ordered and more Benadryl, but it didn't help. So at 4 in the morning I took the Klonopin and Flexeril the doctor ordered and they helped me a great deal. What I hate the most about these withdrawal is the lack of energy and the jitters. I hope I succeed and not get discouraged from the withdrawals.
You came off Suboxone 6 months ago. How are you doing today and how long was it before you felt normal again?

this qoute/text at the bottom has really helped me and i agree all these horror stories online really dont help a thing... but im on day four nd really dont even feel that bad AT ALL its not nearly as bad as any other opiate withdrawal

I just now set up an account after reading this JUST to reply to your post. I'm a 25 yr old full time working female on Suboxone for 2 years. I have literally lost sleep over what I've been reading about getting off this sh*t, I've been so depressed and terrified. What you wrote actually made me cry tears of joy and gave me SO much hope that I can get off of it too. I'm totally just going to use your out of town excuse with my work and start the process asap. Addictionologist?! I never would have thought of that. THANK YOU!!!

"It depends how long you've been on it, what dosing, and just your immune system in general."

Opiate withdrawal has absolutely nothing to do with your immune system. Its the brain's endogenous opioid system. Absolutely not a single thing to do with the immune system. That's for fighting pathogens. m***n.

Just the flu

I have never had the flu but I heard it was an awful thing to live through

How many hours or days does it take before you start feeling withdrawal after a dose of suboxone ?

LolaLove415 

thank you for the positive post, I am working on a tapering schedule and am at 0.5.  I love your post.  I tried to detox last year when I was 3 months pregnant. I came off at 2 mg, i know that was to high of a dose now. My son is 3 months old now.

I have been on suboxone for 7 years and it doesn't work for me.