This is the plan I used when I got out of Florida Detox. I paid 12,000 dollars for this so someone get your moneys worth from this. I started at 32mg so Im going from that.

16mg Morning 16 Night for 6 days
16mg Morning 14 Night for 6 days
16mg Morning 12 Night for 6 days
16mg Morning 10 night for 6 days
16mg Morning 8 night for 6 days
16mg Morning 6 night for 6 days
16mg Morning 4 night for 6 days
16mg Morning 2 night for 6 days
16mg Morning 0 night for 6 days
14mg Morning for 6 days
12mg Morning for 6 days
10mg Morning for 6 days
8mg Morning for 6 days
6mg Morning for 6 days
4mg Morning for 6 days
2mg Morning for 6 days
1mg Morning for 6 days

This is some other advice. I still had withdrawals from the 1mg after I stopped taking it. So I would recommend maybe taking 1/2mg for 6 days then 1/4mg for 6 days. I know its hard to break the pills into 1/4 evenly but try. Also if still felling withdrawals just lick the pill for a second. worked for me

I have never posted before so I am not sure if I am doing this right. I am replying to the above post. Fist I want to say THANK YOU!! I also want to know how long you have been off of the suboxone and how you feel now. Also wondering what you were coming off of when you went on suboxone and how long you were using that. Are you doing anything else like counseling, meetings, church.......anything? Thanks again. I will keep checking back to see your reply.

This isvery helpful--plan to try it.My doc says6months a least but I don'twant to be on Sub that long. Been 10 days at 24MG, 3 days at 16mg. but plan to cut back like you did.

Question tho- you had NO withdrawals cutting back that quickly??? Don'twant to feel bad but don't want to drag this out. Thx for all your info....

My opinion is not to rush it. You have a higher chance of relapsing and experiencing withdrawals if you rush it. You know your body better than anyone else so listen to what it tells you. If you're experiencing withdrawals while tapering your brain is not able to repair the damage. You have to think what this is worth to you. I tapered from 18mg to 1mg in 4 months. I have now been off suboxone for 9 days. I did have minor withdrawals such as nausea, loose stools, sweats, irritability for the first 3 days but by the 5th day almost all of them had subsided. I'm just getting used to what my body is supposed to feel like when i'm not pumping it full of narcotics. That part all in it's own is a long transition. It was definetely worth it though!!! Good luck! Stay strong and have an open mind!!! My thoughts are with you.

This is my first post regarding my experience with subutex, I think my experience may help someone out there as I am reading a lot of bad advice. I was a heavy pain killer addict for 2 years (25-30 oxy a day), subutex for 2.5 years and now clean over 6 months. I also gave up heavy use of ambien which almost killed me when combined with the subs. I am a male 38 yrs, started in good shape. Subutex gave me many side effects and even a strange ocd condition. Some of the side effects were, lack of emotions, no labido and or pain from sexual pleasure during climax, nodding off while driving in the daytime, weight gain, anti social behavior like not answering the phone even for friends and family, no interest in the music that I used to like very much before, ulcers, dry mouth and open mouth while sleeping. There are even more strange sides to this but back to the advice for those of you thinking this is such a great drug. Subutex is hell, it is not living, the withdrawl sucks so bad, worse than actual opiates. I took 24mg daily sometimes more to get high and the doc would just write me another script cause I had the money. This stuff is so evil, do not try a long taper as you will cheat and you drag it out for months and years and thats what they want. It cost me over 14k a year for this savior drug. At least on the opiates I was high in a good way. I jumped off at 16mgs and was feeling better in 2 weeks but not great by any stretch, from there every day gets better and you will not be a slave to that evil substance. The taper theory sounds good on paper but it is agony, just quit now, flush the pills and get it over with, do not keep any for "just incase". If anyone else has some old meds in the house tell them to get it out of there. If I can do it you can also. Thats a bunch of excuses that you will die from withdrawl. If you have the will to do a 3 month taper than you can easily do 2 weeks cold turkey. Your willpower will bend due to the duration, you can not do 3 months of withdrawl thats what the taper is BS !!! I feel that it is paramount to have someone with you to help you get through this for the first week. Plan on staying inside for 2 weeks however if you feel good enough to go out then take a walk, this helped me a lot. Make sure that this person will feed you and baby you a bit. You will cry like a baby and find god even if you are not religous. The worst part for me was the lack of sleep and rls, some push ups took away some of the twitches and walking inside the house helps for the legs or do squats. Immodium will be necessary if you dont like going to the bathroom 30 times a day and I had to take it for a month. Dont drive during this period, I almost killed myself doing this more than once, dont make any serious decesions either. Just take the two weeks off and do it ! I did not go to any NA meetings as I dont want to be talking about drugs every day, just move on with your life. Remember that misery loves company and the support groups will forever connect you with your drug abusing past. I am not religous and most of the groups around here are religon based, I did ask god to help me during my kick but now I am back to normal. Your emotions will all come pouring out during this rebirth period, you will see everything differently as the weeks and months go by. If you have a drug connections burn the bridges, erase those numbers from your phones and call the doc and tell him you are going through detox and not to write you any scripts. No internet either for ordering more. Tell your friend to keep an eye on you as you can not be trusted and tell them all your tricks for drug seeking so they are aware. IMPORTANT: If you are not on subs please dont start, this is a huge mistake, it will be easier for you to quit the opiates and heres why: The subutex has almost triple the half life of opiates meaning it stays in your system much much longer making the withdrawl period even longer, this is why it is so hard to taper on subs. Rember that this is synthetic and there is not much feedback from longtime users like myself. I can go on and on about this but it depends wether or not you really want your life back, if your not ready dont jump off but if you are you are going to be better off than the others looking for an easy way out of this addiction.I was a hardcore addict and I swear that life is so much better now that I am clean. I know you all heard some of this banter before from squares now your hearing it from someone just like you! I hope my experience helps someone out there, thanks Xsubuser.

Many thanks for that post xsubuser!

I have been on opiates for almost 7 years now. I did a methadone detox in a pro unit for a month and came out clean - but swearing to have one more hit. Of course, it led straight back where I was before - in fact I was worse.

Then my drugs counsellor suggested subutex. I had heard in the unit that the w/d was much 'nicer', and so i jumped at the chance.

I have now not taken any subs for 9 days. I came down 2mgs every 4 weeks and finally went from 2mgs to nil. Unfortunately, either I developed a cold/flu the same weekend, or the w/d effects have caught me bad - even though i had only come down from 2mgs.

I feel much better than I did, but I still have no energy and anything I eat or drink goes straight through me at an alarming rate. I can cope with the twitches/irritable legs, and the aches and pains now, but the loose bowels are really starting to scare me - is it unfortunate timing and not well, or is it the dreaded subutex paying its last respects?

I encourage anyone coming off of suboxone, or any opiate narcotic, to take very small doses of naltrexone after being clean for a minimum of 3-4 days. Start with an extremely small dose, like 12.5 mg, to make sure it doesn't bother you. The naltrexone reverses the damage done to the brain by eliminating the excess opiate receptors that have harvested throughout. This speeds up the "normalization" process in the brain by several factors, taking an 18 month time frame down to about 2-3 months. Moreover, taking about 3mg of naltrexone (yes this is difficult but you have to find a compounding pharmacy that can break it down to that small) at bedtime acts as a natural agonist of your body's endorphine system.

Dont just look at naltrexone as something people vulnerable to relapse should be taking. This is a mistake, and a huge one at that. Taking the naltrexone for as little as 3 weeks will work wonders, especially when you realize how happy you are being drug free and your body functioning normally.

My nightmare started in 2005 ,when a friend showed me some little 5 mg. oxycodone pills. I was afraid ,but tried one anyway .after that we started taking about 1 a night 3-4 days a week.I loved the great mood they put me in and we called them orange daddys.This went on for several months until I was at another friends house hanging during the day,(we had both sold our contracting buisiness's ) and had quite a bit of cash.We planned on investing in real estate. well, my friend had a carpenter working inside the house while we were smoking pot (bong hits) and every time he walked past us he said "you guys wanna really get high?"finally we said ,what the hell,so he dropped an 80 mg. oxy-contin on our weed traywe sliced a tiny sliver off with a razor blade and snorted it.stated spliting 1- 80 a week between the 2 of us and got to 2-4 a day each.Been on suboxone and subutexfor three years tried to quit many tmes ,doc said it was like quitting smoking.HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh. I think it may be worse.My life is misery for over 3 years.Never even knew what depression was.Try an old nasal spray bottle w/ water to rinse nose.

If you're still out there? I think you have great info. Maybe you can answer me this. I did opiates for real post op pain. I hate all these drugs. I want to see if I can manage without anything. But I did subutex for a year, 20 mgs. but hated the long term affects as you described. So I asked my doc to go back on just hydrocodone and lorazepan and thought I'd taper off them. But I am still experiencing a lot of withdrawal symptoms from the subutex. Every two hours so I go through an hour of hell and re-dose with 20 mgs. of the hydrocodone. You think this way of detoxing from subutex can work. I can't take off two weeks and I'm three weeks in. How long do you think I'll be feeling this. I'm not on any subutex, just the drugs mentioned. I'm not an addict so tapering off the hydrocodone won't be a problem if I do it slowly, right? Anyone?

xsubuser- Please keep in mind that this drug in all its forms and derivaties are DIFFERENT FOR EVERYBODY. Heres my story, which maybe won't scare everyone to death....

I was on opiates hardcore after a car accident that damaged 2 disks in my back. I missed my physical therapy one day and the dr. cut me off my oxycontin. I then went to the streets and things snowballed fast. within 2 years I was at the methadone clinic. After 2 years of the clinic I eventually got kicked out for not attending meetings (attended 2 in 2 years! I'd relapse after every single one just because of the constant glorification of using) nor did I remember my clean date (as ridiculous as that sounds its true- I was giving them clean urines for a year and a half straight and had take home privledges). So I got cut off and went cold turkey off a 90 mg dose a day. I then endured the methadone sickness, which was by far 100 times the agony of opiate withdrawl, but it kept me clean for 2 years just because I didn't want to go thou that EVER again because it lasted over 5 months. Yes, 5 MONTHS of SICK. Horrible substance, that methadone...

Well 2 years later I relapse and my habit got worse. My friends seemed cleaned up and doing good, they got jobs , got into school, and were just doing things for themselves instead of drugs. I asked them how they did it, and they said Suboxone. I made an appointment but my mother had to literally drag me into the place because I was unsure if it would work. A year and a half later here I am, totally clean! Stopped smoking pot even, which I did over half of my life. This drug is a savior. Sure it is a drug, its a very mild opiate (tricks your brain into thinking your on opiates), and has some side effects, sex was just frustrating I couldn't get off for like 4, 7 hours if at all and it was hurting some girls and I felt horrible afterwards and they would think that there was something wrong with them because I couldn't get off but it was me. Despite the few negative things in the long term its a great choice. Cutting back gradually from a low dose, and I mean LOW dose of like 8 mg a day, isn't very uncomfortable at all.

What I noticed with this drug thru my experiences is that it varies greatly from person to person, even day to day with the same person. Some days I would feel invincible and in perfect harmony with the world, and I'd take the same dose the next day and feel blah. I would frequently talk with my councilor about the effects and how I wish it would be stable a little more than it was, but if you stick with it, stay away from the old drug 'friends', and find something to do that keeps you busy (i got a very very cute girl once I cleaned up and she's great. Engaged now actually.) you're going to be fine. That's the key. Suboxone shouldn't be used more than 12 mg a day, after that your just replacing the high of opiates. If you use enough to subdue the sickness you'll be fine. I know people who take 4 mg a day and they're absolutely fine. Not great, but also not sick either and thats what we're aiming for with this medication.

xsubuser, 24 mg is just ridiculous. Change ur name to xsubAbuser. Its not how you should take the medication no wonder you were nodding off while driving (i've seen ppl nod off of 16+mg and by you taking 24 that's just abuse no wonder you had a problem). When you cut back slowly, say 2 mg a month, that works the best. My doc took me down this way and at the end I did feel like I was drained of my energy for about 3,4 days but it was a pleasure compared to the methadone withdrawal coming off 90 mg cold turkey lasting over 5 months no joke. I couldn't sleep for days, I couldn't eat, I couldn't do anything. Suboxone is still slight withdrawal but its treatable. Its not anything near opiate withdrawal and certainly nowhere near methadone withdrawal. Methadone is the devil in a bottle if you ask me. Suboxone is the savior from above.

Its an amazing feeling when you start to wake up again, to sobriety. Your emotions come back. You have real feelings for once instead of not caring about anything. You start to care about things you never cared about during your addiction. You try to mend the family that you've almost destroyed by your untrust. People actually gain respect for you again. Its beautiful. The main thing i'm trying to say is that its all in how you take it. If your taking it to get high (i've heard those horror stories of ppl trying to shoot the subutex and snorting the suboxone pills) then you better go check into rehab again. This drug is to take when you want to kick all that and you want to save yourself from a life that amounts to one horrible lie and action after the other.

Don't bash suboxone or subutex when you don't even take it how its supposed to be taken. Theres no way my doc would've gave anyone more than 16 mg a day, thats the official cap for the wonderful place I attended. Some docs around here do peddle the suboxone to make money and give ppl WAY WAY more than they actually need and its sad. They're only half helping their patients by giving in to their addictive behavior. Same with the meth clinic, 40 mg makes most people's sickness go away but since they're addicts and want more they convince the doc that it isn't working and get a boost on their meds. THEN THEY'RE HIGH, which negates the whole reason of going. Go to get clean not to continue the patterns of abuse.

I just wanted to respond to the person who had such a poor experience with Subutex. I took Hydocodone for at least 30 YEARS! and Ativan for about 3 or 4 years. Being placed on Subutex was a blessing. I was in rehab for six days and received only about 12mg a day, but by the end of the 5 days, I was taking 2mg a day. I got out, but ended up back in the rehab due to continuing withdrawal (wasn't prescribed Subutex when I left the first time.) I went into rehab the second time for 6 days and then began seeing an addiction specialist who kept me on Subutex for maybe two months. I never had any side effects and I had absolutely no trouble getting off the Subutex. In fact, I've still got 2 prescription bottles full of Subutex, I just didn't need them. I've been off all pain killers and Ativan for two years. I have NEVER had a desire to go back to pain meds or Ativan (oh, yes, I also had a carisoprodol habit--bad!) and I haven't had a desire for those either. I think Subutex saved my life. I wasn't on it "forever" and getting off was easy for me. I have been admitted to the hospital twice in the past two years and want given morphene continuously through a five-day stay last September, and during a two-day stay in October and have never had even a little desire to go back on hydocodone, Ativan, or Soma. I do think that a lot of the pain I was experiencing for the past 4 or 5 years of my addiction were caused by other problems exacerbated by my drug use. I had GERD--gastroesphogeal reflux disease and I had a nasty case of IBS that has been undiagnosed for 20 years or so. So here I am, May 17, 2009. I am drug-dependent free, my GERD--so painful it change readings on my heart tracings--and my IBS--Irritable Bowel Syndrome, also painful to where I also couldn't stand. I tried EVERYTHING. I found drinking Aloe juice straight helped calm the intestines. I stocked up on Peppermint old pills, (not mixed with garlic--ewww. I still have these two natural herbs in my firdge. It seemed like it took so long....not to take opiates/tranqs/ muscle relazers--for me to be where I am today. I must tell you, I as truthfully couldn't be happier. I turned sixty this year, kind of a miles. I went through all this personal hell in my fifties, but if I had known that this stuff-Subutex- were available years ago, I would have found someone in the valley to treat me. Dr. Michaelson is ABSOLUTELY THE PREMIER ADDICTION SPECIALSIT AND INTERNAL MEDICINE DOCTOR BASES IN AWATUKKEE AZ. IF YOU'RE ADDICTIED. THIS GUY MAY BE THE ONE TO TURN YOUR LIFE ALONG. IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS, PLASE ASK. THIS NEEDS TO BE SPOKEN ABOUT.

i just started taking Suboxone last wed. Let me first start by saying i was heavily addicted to Roxies(30's), you know the little blue pills that every Florida pain clinic pushes like crack. At the end of my 8 month run with these damn things, i was taking 12-15 of them a day. If you add up the mg's that is 360-450 mgs a day of hard core oxycodone. I went the the detox center last wed morning, and today is Sunday. I ended up taking the suboxone a little too early as i wasnt really wd'ing that bad when i went into the detox center. I was so sick on wed and thurs, then things started to get better for me on Friday. I am taking a quarter of an 8mg suboxone in the morning, and a quarter before i go to bed. If i only do this for a few more days and stop, do you think that i will end up have a bad wd?? any feedback from anyone similar to me? i feel great right not, very proud of myself for quitting the pills. I will NEVER go back on them. It also feels nice to take a solid sh*t again. I swear i sh*t pebbles for the last 8 months... ahhhh. Thanks.

I have a lot to say on this "Sub"ject. But first, I must agree with the prior post about FL pain clinics giving away 30's like crack- I had a brother going to one of them and his Dr had him all the way up to 2-80's & 4-30's a day.

1) I got hooked on Oxy a few years back. I was up to 160-200 mgs/day and it only lasted about a month. I went to a great Dr who put me on Subutex 16mg/day for 5-6 days and then reduced down very quickly from there. I don't know how my body was not sensitive to wd's at all then because I got off of it much quicker than the doc said and didn't notice any discomfort.

2) NOW, I am trying to get off suboxone and have been taking about .5mg or so a day for 7 days from 4mg and it has not been fun. And I have been on it for about 10 months using 16mg a day for part of it. I tapered down 2mg every 6 days and never noticed ANY w/d symptoms. Believe me, I am EXTREMELY sensitive now for whatever reason. Also, the depression is horrible so I have been taking Wellbutrin which has helped a lot. I would imagine taking Effexor to be a little better as it instantly alters your brain whereas Wellbutrin takes a couple of weeks. I came here because I was given some Ambien and I have read tonight that Ambien can prolong withdrawal. Is this true?
Btw, I came off of hydro for 2 yrs and then Fentanyl for a few months all thanks to a car crash. I must admit to being addicted to Fentanyl for one reason: I woke up every day without pain.

Hey, great info. I went into some shity detox for oxy (2-3 80's a day)for seven days, and wam bam, they let me loose, no sub, no meth. i dont know how, but i stayed clean maybe three months. from then on, i went to suboxone (12mg) for a few months, black market because of lack of script, then eight, got down to four, and now im going into long term rehab. they were right in the fact that wds come on slower than other opiates. im three days off the four mgs and i can barely move. im laying next to my ac hoping that the sweating goes away, but then the chills get me. my legs feel like their turning inside out. Cant get a bed for another two days. sh*t sucks.

i know the side affects are different for everybody, but it's so wierd you so that about"not answer'n the phone for friends or family" i do the exact same thing, i don't know what it is...i just don't want to do it. i've never had anxiety before @ all, i had just the opposite i loved be'n around people. i'm a bartender too, it's kinda wierd b/c when i got to work i don't have hardly any, but if i was to go out to a bar it would totally kick in, i don't mean to be using past tense this is how it is for me now. somedays my attitude is great somedays i just don't feel like talking. i'm on 4mg a day & i can tell when i need another by my attitude, i'm think of just kickin it odn't know yet. my doc. died not to long ago so i'm being reffered to another doc & he only does suboxone & i've been taking subutex, his office is an hour/1/2 away & don't have insurance so w/the gas & pills i just won't be able to afford, so i'll prolly bite the bullet. but, i'm just xtremely worried about working w/out my pills, it scares the sh*t out of me! i just don't know what to do, i've went w/out before & everything is outta wack ya kno i can't spit out my words right sometimes, sometimes my motorskills are off. i'm not myself @ all. i know that sounds crazy but it's the truth.