I have been on this and all other similar sites all day, and with due respect , i do respect everyone's experience strength and hope. Having said that i am afraid it is not as simple as hitting a meeting while you are throwing your dr's and pharmacy's conspiracy to keep you on drugs UP! once you get off the sh*t then you do meetings thaT ARE BEST SUITED FOR YOU OR YOU WILL BE USING AGAIN IN NO TIME AND WITH SOMEONE WHO CLAIMS A TON OF SOBRIETY! My point is if you use methadone and you are living a fairly decent life be grateful, but have a plan and don't expect the clinic to be all that encouraging, they are not. Truth is they have a bottom line and you are a dollar sign, but their is real help their and if you are strong enough you can get your act together on either with limited amount of pain. I know this because i was on the clinic 4 years ago on 180 mgs and went off cold turkey but was bombarded with every emotion one can go through/ I tried more than 10 attempts to get someone to help me get off, no detox wanted me, no Dr's would see me. I finally went to Mass General and one of the kindest thing a ER Dr did for me was to tell me go get some quinine and ibuprofen and have a bag packed in case of an emergency and sent me home.She told me i shouldn't be telling you this so i owe her big because her advice was good. I made it was sober for a while but relapsed a year later and went back on done, now i am @ 80 and am going to try to get off it again. No easy way out of those withdrawls but it can be done!!!!!  A lot of ppl with the horror stories are holding me back but i think i will try anyway. i am tired of having to go to clinic every am no more vacations cause to get a take home where i go you have to go to boot camp..jk but sorta. I have been on suboxone too, i have an opportunity to do it again and am praying to my higher power to keep me safe. Good Luck to all of you struggling , it is no easy feat but be proud you are Alive, be safe and wish me luck 

Hyoscine l-butylbromide, or buscopan/gastrosoothe, or scopolamine, combined with loperamide is great for stomach upsets from withdrawal and are available over the counter in NZ but I'm not sure about other countries. Gabapentin is a prescription drug, but 600-900mg at night is great for the restless leg aches. Magnesium supplements taken for a couple of weeks can help, too. Herbs such as skullcap, passionflower and valerian can help too. Acetaminophen helps control the fever, and I personally used a tricyclic antidepressant (doxepin) with low doses of valium to help me sleep, but this carries its own risks. This is notwithstanding the healthcare system differences between NZ and the US; the advantage in as a paying customer is that as long as you pay, you get what you want a little easier. NZ is hypocritical; you have to pay a surcharge (half of the value of treatment) and the rest is out of the taxpayer's pocket, but they nearly always treat you like s**m if you have drug problem. If you go private, you get much better treatment. Good Luck.

Hi , i was on methadone for 8 yrs due to pain. I got it from family members. I found my tru soulmate and needed to get off. The longest time in the 8 yrs i was clean was 60days. I went to detox for 5days and took suboxone, it was even a bigger mistake. I had worse withdrawls from it and relapsed. I am now 3weeks clean of and methadone and suboxone, i will nvr take either one. I took subutex for 4days and went home and did it cold turkey. I am not a strong person..if it werent for my bf looking me up in our house i know id relaspe. I no longer feel the need to wanna use because my withdrawl symptoms are minor. I know how awful this c**p is and dont understand why dr's can give u synthectic herion but u get pulled over with a joint u go to jail. I feel stronger and healthier now. What i did diferent this time getting sober was lots of research and a good ARC {addiction recovery clinic} i know suboxone was outta the qeustion tht i would withdrawl from tht as well. so went down to 20mg in a few mths and to be honest the withdrawls werent as bad as a doubled dose..i know ppl say take it one day at a time, i believe for myself it was more like taking it one moment at a time, some moments were terrible some were fantastic. I strongly recommend u try and try again, u seem like me and i did it, it owed me and now im free....member your worse day sober is still better than ur best day high....good luck! You can do it!!!