Suboxone detox in no fun no matter what you do, and I can say that from multiple experiences.  I've been an opiate addict since 1997 when I had a back surgery, and although my back pain is gone, I still couldn't get away from,  the drug.  Roxy 30's were my passion and poison.  I've been to rehab, in patient detox and have done home detox.  Each time has provided me with some insight into what works best for me, so let me share. 

Most recently, I was snorting 10-15 roxy 30's per day, and that lasted over a period of 4 months after being clean for 7 months prior.  My fiance left me because I couldn't get my sh*t together, get a job, and life a normal life.  I have my law degree and promised to take the bar this past July and crumbled and I didn't do it, and that was her final straw after dealing with my addictions (pills, gambling) for years.  When she left, I was so depressed and angry at myself for letting her down again.  In my lonliness, I relapsed.  After 4 months on drugs, I numbed the pain away, but was more depressed deep down than I had ever been before.  I decided to get clean. 

In the past, I had been on suboxone long term...once for 9 months, another time for a year, and another time I kicked opiates without withdrawal.  I will say that suboxone minimizes the pain of withdrawal, but you have to do it right.  All these doctors prescribing suboxone long term are crazy, and since I had a few experiences, I decided I would do it my way under the guidance of my addiction psychiatrist who is great.  I was prescribed suboxone, and took 4mg twice a day for the first 3 days, then went to 2mg twice a day for 2 days, then 2mg once a day for 3 days, and then 1mg once a day for 2 days.  That's 10 days on suboxone....PERIOD.  Once the I stopped the suboxone, I went to my Dr. and was precribed clonodine .1mg 3x daily (I actually take 1/2 in the morning and afternoon, and then 1 at night, so one less than what she prescribed)  I also am on klonopin 1 mg twice daily (I take 1/2in the am, and 1 an hour before bed so taking less than prescribed) I also take 800 mg neurontin before bed for sleep and to help with the twitches/ spasms I get and then also take a 25mg seroquel at night and some melatonin. 

I'm on my fifth day, and this has been the best detox experience I've had yet.  Yes, I do have withdrawal symptoms, this time stomach cramps and diarrea have been the worst, but they are starting to subside.  With the klonopin and Clonodine, I've had very minimal anxiety during the day.  At night when I try to go to sleep, I am restless, but once I fall asleep, I stay asleep.  If you can't sleep, get up and do something....laying in bed fighting everything.  The nights are worst for me, but the days have been better than any other experience. 

Yes, I'm tired and don't have much energy, and my appetite isn't great, but I'm juicing in the am to help detox my body with kale, , spinach, parsley, cilantro, apples, and carrots.  I love it.  I then eat something small during lunchtime and take a multivitamin (very important) and then at dinner trying to get as much protein and fiber into my body.  Even if you feel like you can't eat (i know the feeling) FORCE yourself to eat.  Also, try to stay hydrated and drink alot of water.  As bad as you feel, try to do some exercise, even if its going on a 20 minute walk once or twice a day.  If you can do more, even better. 

During this, I have to work, and continue to do so despite how I feel.  There's NO way to avoid suboxone withdrawal despite what ANYONE will tell you, however, my experience has told me that 1) If you're considering taking suboxone, get off fast and try the program I listed above despite what your doctor may tell you. (remember everyone is out to make a buck) 2) Have a follow up plan with your doctor like I did to help you through the rough week or two 3) stop taking the meds for withdrawal as soon as you can.  The mind of an addict works in a funny way.....but it is for TEMPORARY relief, and I plan on tapering down over the next few days until I'm off completely) 4) do the work needed to stay clean)

I'm not a doctor and the info I listed above is from my personal experiencnes, but I can say, this last program I've done, I've had the least withdrawal symptoms possible.  Remember though, this refers more to the addict getting clean and getting onto suboxone for a short period.  if you've been on it for a long time, it may not be the best way to do it, and you're in for a rougher time as I know because I've done it before. 

Good luck to you all, and I wish you nothing but peace, happiness, and a drug free life.  We take drugs to numb our pain, but having the ability to overcome that and takes lifes challenges head on will make you a better person in the long run. 

Take care, and remember, withdrawals will only be a couple rough weeks in a life with great potential.  As bad as you feel, don't go back to using.  The pain will pass. 

What an uplifting story.  I wish you the best in your recovery.

Hi! I loved your post. My husband has been off soboxone for 30 days now and went through the worst. His energy level is not back yet as before. Do you know how long it will take to get his energy back? He was on soboxone for 4 years and vicodine 5 years previous due to bad surgeries. One good thing is that he no longer gets severe leg cramps, and his sex drive really improved and his back no longer itches like before.

Thanks for the post Marty, and I feel your pain. I'm hoping to keep my relationship(s) w my gf and friends etc., and have tried subtext & suboxone, only to come back to H after a couple days of hell. 

Best of luck my friend, and congrats on staying clean! That makes one of us, hopefully I'll be joining all of you guys soon on the other side:) 

The post ahead of me is great info. What u need to remember is that once clean stay clean. In my opinion most addicts are depressed not happy w themselves or inherited the gene. Find ur trigger, why do u want to feel differently, what happened. Getting clean is a great accomplishment, staying clean will b a work in progress. People places n things, an idle mind is the devils playground all true. Know and accept that this is a disease n not just a period of time in ur life. In this battle there r no rules, it is literally a fight for ur life, so win at any cost.

Well folks, everything I've read has been great info. Here's my experience and advice. I was using about a gram of heroin a day, sometimes more, it all depended on my funds. I had a doctor prescribe me subs and he wanted me to take 2-8mg sub strips a day for a year, which is like prescribing me another addiction. Against my physicians advice, I would only take one 8mg strip a day. When I first jumped from the large amounts of I.V. Heroin use to the subs, I had a pretty hard week. After I began to feel normal again I switched to half a strip(4mg of suboxone) per day. I stayed on that regiment for about two weeks and then began taking 2mg every 24-36 hours. This drug DOES last a long time so try to stretch each dose out as long as possible, you will thank yourself in the end. After about a week and a half I then dropped to 1 mg a day. After three days at 1mg I stopped altogether. I have been off the subs now for 3 days and needless to say, I'm not at 100%. Feeling pretty fatigued and some digestive issues along with slight lack of sleep due to restless legs but hey, I've been through a lot worse. I believe a big part of it is staying as physically active as possible. I work as a scuba instructor so I'm sure that the long days of diving and loading and unloading dozens of scuba tanks on and off a boat in the hot Caribbean sun has a lot to with it. My advice is to do a moderate drop like I did, get as much exercise as possible, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! If you are on this site, you've already made the first step and that's the desire to stop. My hopes and prayers are with you all. Don't let a drug pick and choose your battles anymore!

Ok here goes nothing. My story, first I want to thank the very Few people who stuck by me at the worst of the worst.#1 my boyfriend #2 mom dad and sister. #3 ibuprofen #4 a single trazadone tablet and#5 my son who is 7 in April who had no idea what his mom was hiding. It all started with OxyContin thousands of dollars worth. Blah, blah, blah... Once that got taken off the market in my state I started suboxone : ( I was great full at the time because I was young and know now I was not serious about giving up the opiates for good. Kicked the suboxone after being on it for about roughly 5 months- cold turkey, for my current boyfriend. I was on a considerable dose mabie between 12 to 8 mg a day. Took me a good 7 days of withdrawals. Day 8 was suboxone free for about a year. My first relapse. After being clean a year and a day, I turned to opiates at a party = | morning after party more opiates day after that more opiates. Ahhhh! After about 5 days of opiates I got my first sign of w/d's. Immediately got onto suboxones again......................................for about a year. Quit cold turkey. Yet again. Of f the same mg as the first. Approximately 4 days of wd's. Was clean for two years and guess what happen, I turned to opiates at a party. After about eight months of opiates whenever I could get them. Which brings my to my current and final detox Yet Again cold turkey. It is currently day 8 or 9 and I am still having w/ d's yesterday I took a trazadone and got my first night of sleep, we'll since its morning I guess that I took that on night 7. Last night no traz I barley slept. Now it's day 9 after I post this I'm off to work. I never again want to go through this. Once I get that first night of sleep. I'm throwing this story out of my head and never looking back. I am 22 years old I have been through a lifetime in  22 years. I want to retire from this life and start my new drug free happy normal life. I want to also thank the people on the soboxone forums for listening and sharing. Suboxone has been a cruch for me at desperate times but if something you ingest makes you feel the way w/d's do it shouldn't be used. I blame physicians and pharmacies for not doing their jobs on prescribing the right medication to patients. If they did no one should sell illegally and no one would buy illegally. It's never going to change Drugs will always be my battle but I can reassure myself and everyone I'm scared and don't know what I'm doing right now because I'm on day 9 of detox and living on roughly 6 hours total of sleep in 9 days. But I know what I'm not doing opiates or soboxone ever gain. So with that said thanks again god bless and good luck with your battles.

Hi! My husband was on suboxzone for years and it was the worst thing ever! It costs us so much money and waiting for hours at the doctors office, driving 1 hour to go to doctors office every month and taking off work. . These doctors try to keep you on it becasue they make money having you as a patiant. My husband got hooked on pain killers after six surgerys on his hand gone bad. He went to re hab for 4 months and came out great but he could of gone without the suboxone. The suboxone gives you alot of energy, but it also effects you sex drive. One year now that my husband is off there has been a great change in him. Make sure you have an exercise routne to keep your body in shape and never go back to that poison. The detoxing was awful but I made him take b12- and some other supplements that I researched on for detoxing. Take care of yourself and keep up the good work! You have a long life ahead of you. My mom used to say your body is your temple, so always keep that in mind.

That's a real punk comment. Are you a doctor or just trying to come on here and scare people who are trying to clean their lives up? Let me guess: You live in a basement, surf the internet all day, and don't have much of a life.??? Well just in case you actually believe that let me tell you something.  You're body, no matter what damage has been done by the drugs you've taken, can heal itself. You gotta believe in a higher power.  You must endure time, suffering, and belief.  So Suffer Well. There are many techniques out there that have worked for thousands of addicts and dependents who were near hopeless or hopeless just like me. There are many successful functioning addicts who are in a way hindered by their success bc it got them in this jam in the first place.  More money to burn, more opportunity to feel great.  Some end up unlucky, hit rock bottom, go to jail. But no matter what got us here, we're all here looking for hope.  IT's there. Dont listen to a punk comment like the one above me. I enjoyed all the other ones on this page.  Good luck to all.  Every day is a new day, even if you slip. You can choose to get better or choose not to.  Your choice.

Thanks, could I ask how old you are, if you don't mind? Were you on opiates due to having a bad back etc....or other ailment.....or was it a recreational kind of thing? I've been on opiate program 6 years now and facing withdrawal. I've never heard of Suboxone...is it something like Methadone? I know little of either but would like to know a little before I have to go through it....... Thanks

I think that was very uncalled for, there was nothing wrong with the way she detoxed herself and her husband, everyone has their own method. Personally I quit a habit of being on Suboxone for 2 years and quit cold turkey and have been clean for 6 months, so everyone has their own method, so don't judge someone because they didn't do it the way you thought they should. The main goal is to get clean. Judge ye not, lest ye be judged yourself and I didn't say it, Jesus said.

I ve been on soboxen for 7 months now and I am in my 10 day...what a nightmare. ..first tired to just cold turkey...no way..then alcohol but just through up...no good. ..then I did some Hawaiian ICE....and been up for eleven days trying to beat the sh*t..and its helping a big deal eating cleaning my bouls out and .....all go for a nother week and then sleep it off. ...