i always have flem in my throat and it hurts me when i have to cough it up. it makes my throat feel blocked all the time and feels as if i cant swollow.my breathe always smells and i have been having little yellow pieces in my throat which i have been coughing up and they really smell. i brush my teeth frequently and blow my noise when its runny. can you please find out what it is that is causing this problem and what i can do to resolve this issue.

i'd just like to say i have the same problem for quite a while few months sticky cough between nose and throat constanly trying to unblock my nose coughing up small off coloured lump 3mm size can easily squash between fingers with awful smell. i'm always chewing gum to cover up breath. have to blow nose before i eat or i can't taste anything is it an infection and what can get rid of it

I too have the same problem. Coughing up a smelly 3mm or so flem every morning from my nasal area and it smells. It's went away after I began my chemotherapy and then came back 2 years later. I'm concerned if it's my diet, or what this is from.

I have found in my own experience that many of the symptoms are environmental.. it pisses me off when people blame them on other factors.. and not at least consider and allergy or otherwise present in there own home..

Simple step to rule out environment.. Have the person whom is having the problems spend about 3 days and nights in a different location.. Best would be a clean hotel room ironic enough.. NOT your own home or a friends will not help..

I say that because what ever maybe trigger the problem may be present in your home and theres as well.. Hell if they are related to you.. it is very possible you may very well do the same type of cooking, behavior or otherwise.. you may deny this.. But I find in my own experience.. that some behavior is genetic..

If this does not work.. please don't blame me.. but it will rule out enviromental HOUSE causes.. It can be many things if this proves to be true.. Mold, bacterial, or maybe even the way the food is prepared.. make sure if you do attempt this.. that you DO NOT cook or bring anything from there home besides clothes.. which should be cleaned outside of there home to eliminate that environmental influence..

The lungs are weird on how they react to the environment.. they are the ultimate HEPA filter.. they capture everything.. getting a person into an environment that is foreign and may not contain those materials may lead to you to the cause..

If it does not.. then it could still be environment if that person was known to work with materials that could cause this at an earlier age.. but that eliminates one suspect...

Just a thought...Now ironically on the 4th day if they get better.. and then they get worse.. then that proves it really is environmental.. bc it takes about 3 days for things you ate to get out of your system.. then the same can be applied to your lungs as well.. depending on many factors of course...

As always.. Discuss this with your doctor if this person is in bad health.. Or get a second opinion..

This is not a radical treatment in anyway..

I've had the same symptoms for around 10 years. It's not environmental, as I've moved from Australia to England.
I had my tonsils removed, as they were infected by this, and that got rid of the smelly kernels, but the clogged nose & bad breatth continue.
Everythibg gets worse with coffee, dairy products, orange juice, and stress.
Antibiotics used to stop it for a few days, but not now, any more.
So far, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a chronic sinus infection - possibly MRSA, but I don't really know. _[removed]_.

The only thing that has worked is a strange chinese herbal powder that I make into tea. See a chinese herbalist.

I'm still waiting to find someone who does know, so it can be fixed for good.

look up candida albicans

Those nasty little lumps are called tonsiloliths or tonsil stones.

Google tonsil stones/liths and Dr. Katz. Dr. Katz has advice and sells products which will alleviate the problem. In the mean time, gargle and rinse mouth with warm salt water to reduce the sulfur causing bacteria.

i had the same problem. then they took out my tonsels and it never happened again.

um my problem is that i have this smell that sometimes i smell from my throat it not all the time but sometimes i smell it and sometimes gone i need to know what is wrong with me

Dr. Machado,
Having chronic sinus infection from smoking is very common in women in there late 30s. Women that have smoked for 15 years or more start feeling signs of CSIS such as smelly phlem, coughing, congested and post nasal drip. Immediate remedy would be to STOP SMOKING. You will see positive results in 1 week and eventually will not have this problem after a year. Good Luck.

I have had the same problem as the person that moved to Australia and have been on lots of antibiotics over the last 3 years, and the same problem....the smell goes for a couple of days and then it comes back. I have peridonitis and have recently had treatment for that, so i know the smell is not coming from my teeth. I have been getting a mucus at the back of my throat and roof of my mouth and taste a bit salty too. I gave up smoking nearly 3 years ago so i know its not down to that. I avoid sugary foods, dairy, garlic, anything that sets the smell off worse than it is now. Its so embarrassing because people judge you and think you dont clean your teeth, when in fact i clean my teeth after every meal and use mouth wash twice a day and clean with a interdent brush! Im so fed up with this now, its taken over my life to the point where i dont even want to go to school plays and parents evening and nights out with friends and family because its just too embarrassing!

Many people have these symptoms and often don't know what to do.  One of the most common remedies for many is to have their tonsils removed.  So many people have been to specialist after specialist with no end (or answers) in sight.  

Also, if you think you might have an infection of any kind (or chronic infection even), try Colloidal Silver.  It is the BEST, and I swear by it.  Familiar with UTIs (urinary tract infections)?  Most women who are, know that pain/feeling when they urinate... and they *know* they have to get rid of it with an antibiotic & maybe an OTC med can help.  

Antibiotics take a while to work..... with Colloidal Silver, you take a swig of it, and by the next time you go to the bathroom, the pain/pressure will be gone & so will the UTI (I'd suggest taking a few more swigs over the next day or so just to be sure, though).  Ear infection?  Same thing... the pain is gone within an hour (for me anyway).  

I have gotten ear infections every single year since I was about 10 years old, and at least twice a year.  I'd always end up in the ER b/c the pain was unbearable... all for a stupid antibiotic.  When I discovered silver, it literally changed my life.  I put just a few drops in my ears, and I'll take a tablespoon or so of it, and the pain is literally gone within an hour.  Infections don't stand a chance with me.  I strongly recommend you check it out... it can be taken orally, or via ear & eye drops, it is 100% natural & safe for babies, pets, plants, elderly (any creature on Earth), you can't overdose on it, and it works for SO many more things than antibiotics do.  

Go to any natural health supplies/food store & ask for Colloidal Silver.  10 ppm usually does just fine & is perfect.  You might think it's expensive, but when weighing it against going to the Dr. to get antibiotics every time you have an infection & then going to the pharmacy to fill them & going through the hassle of it all, it is 100% worth it (it's totally affordable.... not outrageously priced or anything).  It's saved me a million times, and it literally saved my cat's life.  She had a terrible infection, her eyes were rolling back in her head, she was dehydrated, had a fever that was borderline to brain damage levels.... we knew we were going to lose her.  I forced a couple teaspoons of Colloidal Silver down her throat, and within about an hour, her fever broke, and she gradually starting coming back to normal.  The emergency vet had told me if I don't bring her in & get her some antibiotics, she'll die.  She's happy & healthy as can be now!  I'm telling you... TRY this stuff!  It's what everyone in society used before antibiotics were created in the 30's.  

I have had allergies my whole life, runs in our family. After I broke my nose in a car accident, I began having chronic sinusitis and bronchitis. For more than 15 years this went on and on. I went to sooo many doctors, all they did was treat the symptoms. I started having the little yellow balls coming up in my mouth from my throat area and boy did they smell. My breath was so bad that people would back away from me; although, I could not smell my breath at all. I went to an ear, nose, and throat specialist. He told me I had necrotic tonsils and needed to correct my deviated septum (nose). I had both done in one operation. Finally, a doctor who actually knows how to correct a problem and not the symptoms. After surgery, no more stinky balls, my bronchitis and sinusitis have decreased by 85%, and my breath is better. Now, years later, I still feel my breath is a problem and now I feel that a lot of the smell is coming up from my guts. I am lactose intolerant, so I feel that I am missing a lot of the enzymes needed to properly breakdown food. Because I cannot smell my own breath, it makes it very hard to deal with. My biggest two issues right now are chronic phlegm (mostly in mornings) and bad breath. I am searching once again for the perfect fix. That is how I ended up here today.

you might have alot of bacteria buliding up in your mouth. Start flossing and see a dentist for a deep cleaning.