I have suffered in the last 3 years from too much flem or mucus in the throat. I have heard that dairy products product excess mucous so that might be part of the problem. I have also read where the processing of milk may be part of the problem. I wonder if that is true and what should I do. Is there anyone with the same experience of flem in throat so might give me an advice and explanation.

Generally, dairy products do not cause more mucus that is what I have heard. However, the fat content in dairy products can cause flem in the throat to be thicker so it feels like there is more. Eating dairy products with a lower fat content can be helpful with cutting yours problem with flem in the throat. Advice I might gave you is you should drinking plenty of water, because that will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily. As long as you are not on a fluid restriction, you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid each day. I have heard also that nasal wash helps remove mucus and germs from your nose and sinuses. This can decrease the amount of flem in your throat. It is most helpful when done daily, and this mucus could be dripping from your nose and sinuses down the back of your throat. I have this problem for a long time already but few days ago, I have heard good advice from one friend of mine. I am now trying a holistic approach as he told me, and that is Apple Cider Vinegar, that must be unpasturized/raw/unfiltered/. The dosage is 2 tsp. before each meal or diluted with water and drank during the meal, and I can tell you this really works for my flem in the throat.

I too have this problem and apparently there isn't much we can do...take allergy meds daily and keep clearing it out is all I know and I'm a nurse with access to medical information. ]

just a heads up, the word is spelled phlegm.

i have too much mucus in my throat. and when i try to swallow it it stay in my throat. and sometimes when i dont cough it out it gets so thick that it feels like it clogs up my throat and i cant breath until i breath all the way through. it is really getting on my nerves and i have had this problem for about one or two months. i am 13 years old and my parents wont take me to the doctor. I am very concerned about this and scared. i do not have allergies or anything. my friend has it too. we call it "green stuff" but i have it way more than my friend. she has it very rarely i have it ALL the time. i actualy have it in my throat right now please help me!

Thank You.

To the one's that say they don't have allergies. Some times allergies can hit you at anytime of age. I have had allergies all my life but with some things i was not allergic to at a young age as i have gotton older i have been allergic to more and more "I think every year i gain some thing else that i'm allergic too.
So maybe consider finding a allergy doctor and have them to allergy tests to see if your allergic and the test will tell you what your allergic too, very helpful tests to have done.
well good luck.

Hey I have it too! I just got it three days ago and it's really freaking me out.

I guess it is the dairy, I suggest you limit your dairy intake (no more ice-cream for me!!) and I think that will help =)

hey im glad to hear im not the only one with this problem. i have had it for a few months and i cant rid of it. i said it to my doctor and she kind of passed it off as a cold. i tried exputex went through a couple of bottles and didnt find it any good. tried beechams hot drinks and it helped a abit but i need something to get rid of it once and for all. please help!!!

thick mucous in the throat can be cause by excess acid being released by the stomach. i had the problem for a few weeks and the irritation at the back of my throat was almost unbearable. I read about the excess acid thing on the internet and i realized that i must've been drinking at least three or four glasses of orange juice a day. i stopped and replaced this with water and the problem is almost gone.

so ppl are in pain from mucus and all you can think about is being a spelling geek?

dude i hate this, i was freiken out before i found this site but now that i know its just allergies of to much milk i feel better about it, ive had this problem fr a month now and it dosnt taste very good hahaha but hopefully il be fine. :-)

I have had this problem for about a month. I had been off dairy for about a year and have started eating a lot of yogurt. Now after reading some of these posts I think I will switch to soy or goat yogurt to see if the problem stops.

I have been experiencing this problem for a few months, I drink milk every now and then, but not that much. My throat is always full of phlegm and it bothers me a lot. I am thinking about seeing a doctor, since it is very hard for me to get out. Every time I cough I cough mucus, it's disguising and I really need some help, if anyone has the information to help my problem that would be great. Thanks

hi there i also have the same problem, i guess the best thing to do is drink plenty of water instead of milk and soft drinks it really helps make the mucus thinner and more easier to cough it out. also try to wash your nose out with a lot of water that also helps to release the mucus. another thing to try is to fill up a clean bowl of hot,steamy water and put in a few drops of vicks vapor drops or rub, and lean your head forward with a towel over your head and inhale the steam for at least 10 min once each day until you feel better. hope i have helped solve your problem and all goes well. :-D

I go to the hospital once a year for cryotherapy. All the pumps, sprays and allergy meds (OTC and prescription) didn't work so I saw an allergist doctor who said this would work. It did but i have to get the treatment once a year at the hospital. The first time is a bit scary but after 4-5 years, i am use to it. It really saved me from all the mucus dripping.