How to get rid of mucus in the throat one day after a tonsilectomy? My 17 year old daughter can hardly swallow, not because of pain so much as mucus build up. Can she gargle?

Hello! When I had tonsillectomy done, I was in so much pain. My throat hurt badly and my doctor recommended that I gargle with warm water and salt. He also told me that I should gargle after eating when I want to clear my throat and get rid of the bad taste.

So, it is ok to gargle after tonsillectomy and as for clearing the mucus, it is also helpful as gargling can break up mucus in the throat. I hope this helps!

thamks alot this really helped

I just had my tonsillectomy 5 days ago.
Quote:

My doctor told me NOT to gargle at all because
any option of numbing the throat would cause bleeding?

is there a certain measurement of salt and water

One doctor told me to gargle with salt water. I think, I overdid and it started to bleed. So, do it light--no forceful gargaling!
When I talked with another doctor, he did not recommend gargaling.

Gargle with 2 parts water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide people! it's what the doctor gave me.

Don't use that, it will irritate the skin

Hi, I am on my 8th day, I was told and to gargle.with ice water. I have as well. I also brush my teeth but stay ckear of yhe back as to be careful in not hitting any sore areas. The phelm is thick and unstopping so the ice water gargle has really helped me with the pain and the mucus.