My child has runny nose, there is a think white flem in it, his throat is sore too. He had fever yesterday. I guess that is flu or cold, so I thought I can give him an aspirin. Well, I didn’t I just wanted to ask first if I can do it. I little worried because the flem is white. I know that is supposed to be yellow.

Well, I guess that is cold, although I am not a doctor but he has typical symptoms, sore throat and stuffy nose. There is no typical color of the flem. The flem color can change from clear or white to thick yellow or green. Please, don’t give to the child any medicine, any aspirin or any product that contains aspirin or "salicylate”. Children can develop dry, sore skin underneath their nostrils from the mucous and from frequent wiping. Have your child use the softest possible tissue. It can help to have the child "blot" or "dab" the mucous away; also you can try applying a little Vaseline or Chap-Stick to the sore skin to protect it. A humidifier in your child’s room at night can help too, but remember to change the water and clean it every day. Do not add medications to the water in the humidifier and check with your doctor before trying anything.