I have been feeling under the weather for about two weeks. Started with cold-like symptoms. Took Zicam and things seemed to improve, then woke up one morning with no voice and serious throat pain. Had a rapid strep test done which came back neg. was told to gargle salt water, rest voice. As the week progressed I got a cough, low grade fever, ear ache, and joint pain, aches. Went back to doctor who indicated that I had swollen glands on left side, and pus on tonsils as well as white patches in back of throat. Did another rapid strep test, came back neg. again, but started me on azithromycin anyway. I have been on it for 4 days and have experienced little relief. Still have pain in throat, still see pus on tonsils, and still experiencing joint, glandular pain. Is there anything else I can do to relieve the pain. I've been taking ibuprofen 600mg and acetametaphin as well. How long does it usually take to notice improvement from infection?

Anytime that I have a sore throat I immeditely check for pus in my throat. Everytime I see pus I realize that, the pus is whats causing my pain. I resolve my thorat pain by simply taking a cotton q tip and removing the pus balls with as many q tips I need in order for the pus not to live in my throat any longer. As a result I feel so much better. Removal of the pus is the answer. I do this very often and it relieves me tremendously. Also, suck on a lemon, it chases sore throats and bacteria away!

I too have had that problem and it can either be strep throat or a viral cold symptom. Right now my daughter and I don't have strep that came back negative so it's a virus. We both have small fever's, gunky runny noses, slight cough , red swollen throats-tonsils, and our lymph nodes are swollen I had some pus on my tonsils as well.

I have also found that removing the pus from my throat makes me feel better 10x faster like immediate relief. I use a waterpik, toothpick or qtip and remove pus and gargle with salt water.

I have pus on my tonsils and have had for years.  I also have a lump in my throat, hoarseness, and sometimes when I feel like I have something in my throat, I cough and swallow, etc and spit up a whole bunch of hard pus balls - gross - I also remove the pus balls from my tonsils and once pressed on my tonsils and out came a lot of white stuff - consistency of toothpaste.  I cannot stand this feeling of something in my throat. Any suggestions?

I have from time to time little hard pus (smells terrible and its beige color) coming out of my throat and this is been happening for so many years... Any idea of what this could be?

I have also been coughing up these horrible little balls of pus for a good few years. I never asked my doctor what they were because I thought I was the only one with them and it was gross, but now i know its normal, im going to find out folks, i have an appointment in an hour, and i shall return with an answer
mims

yesterday i went to the doctor my my left tonsil being swolen. the strep and rapid mono test both came back neg. so i was sent to an ent (ears, nose, throat specialist) he found a sack of puss on the back of my throat that had been makng my tonsil inflamed. he checked to make sure it was pus and drained it. i immedately felt less pressure on my throat. im still in pain but i was perscrbed meds, and now i have to wait for thngs to go back to normal. so go see your doctor and ask them if its possibe that you have what i had.

If you do have mono, people seem to be saying to leave the pus alone - no q-tips or anything like that. I have mono and the left and right sides of my throats have spots filled with puss. Last night I removed most of it with a q-tip but still had some that I could not get at. This morning when I woke up I went to try to remove the remaining puss and found that there was more puss in my throat than I started with yesterday, So on instinct I went at it a second time with a bunch of q-tips. Now I'm just waiting to see if it comes back more once again, which would suck. if it does I will likely try another method - gargle more, etc. If it's horribly worse I'll go see my doctor. If anyone knows for certain whether or not I should continue to clear out some of the puss with q-tips, please let me know. Thank you!

Hi. My 6-year old has had a really bad sore throat for the last week. He was tested 2x's for strep and both times it was negative. He did complain of an ear ache the day after the throat pain started, however, the ear ache subsided by the next day. He now has severe throat pain--his tonsills are as big as meatballs, the runs, stomach ache, low grade fever (for a few days now), AND is now getting dizzy? The doc said that it was viral. I went to an accupuncturist and they did the NAET testing on my son which discovered his throat problem to be bacterial I've placed my son on Amoxcicillin. What I don't understand in WHY is he getting dizzy--particularly during bed time?

His tonsils are covered with white stuff--the doctor said it wasn't pus? And it is gross!!! I've tried to knock some of that stuff off by having him gargle--he gargles well, but that stuff is really stuck on their.

I too have had white stuff of my tonsills. However, I've pressed on my tonsills to try and knock that stuff off--it's worked, but if your sick, such as the case with me, it will come back, which it did. I did do a little bit of reading on the puss/white stuff. From what I recall, there are capiliary type of things inside the tonsil. When these capillary's burst, they release a white substance that surfaces to the top. It's really not pus, but the stuff that was within the capilary's of the tonsil. I believe the tonsil recreates these capilary's. Again, I'm going on what I remember reading--which was a very, very long time ago.

To the previous poster--whether your son has a viral or bacterial infection, it sounds to me that with an ear ache, he could get a little bit dizzy because the infection is probably in his sinuses. That would explain the dizziness because I've had pretty bad ear infections before, and I've gotten dizzy based on it. The white stuff on his tonsils will come out eventually so don't worry about getting him to get it off. They come out in their own time. Thanks for posting your insight!

First of all... if it's hard it's not pus. Pus is gooey.

What you are describing sounds like tonsil stones of tonsiliths. They are quite common and not a sign of infection.

See here for ways to get rid of them and to prevent them

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

I think that's exactly what it is! I think a lot of people assume that it's a hardened plug of pus but it's just tonsil stones. I get them myself. They're very uncomfortable but they are pretty common. Thanks for pointing that out!

I had a very sore throat this morning with pus pockets on both sides of my throat. I just cleared out as much as I could and it feels much better. Hopefully it will not come back. If it does I am headed to the Dr!

I think that sounds like a good plan but if you had a sore throat like that it will probably come back. It's been a day or so since you've posted. Has the puss come back or has it cleared out for good? Let me know, okay?

What a lot of you are talking about is tonsil stones...they're extrememly common and they're foul smelling and can cause discomfort and bad breath....caused by the drainage that runs down your throat/nasal..so as they are bothersome they aren't harmful and nothing to worry over, but i know how annoying they are ive had these things for years...yuck.