I'm really trying to prefect my diet, minus the alcohol, yeah...I'm an alcoholic at 15 lol. Anyhow is anyone here a pro nutritionest? If so what are the things I should absolutely not eat?

I know trans-fats and saturated fats are bad, like hydroginated oils, and sugar way up at the top of the ingredients is bad as well. But are there other things that I should be like off 100%?

Thanks!

Alcohol. Seriously. It'll make your running much much better if you get rid of it. If you MUST drink, I find it's better to drink liquor than beer.

It's THAT bad? I only drink it like once every 2 weeks approximately, at the most. It's just that I drink a fair amount of it at that time. I just like to get absolutely plastered sometimes, at every opportunity I can get, mind you those opportunities don't come that often. Is maybe 10 coolers (bracardi breezers) a month that bad? Thats usually what I have, it's the only alcohol I enjoy the taste of, but sometimes I've got to have that hard 40% stuff :umno:

If you just drink every other week then it's probably not holding you back. But I'd still try to keep it in moderation.

Ok thanks, I'll be aware of it.

Mike, You're underage and it's illegal. Get a grip on reality. Secondly, yes, it's bad for your running. Without a doubt, the binge drinking is nothing but setting yourself up for a few days of being unable to train properly. Ya know, I just recently had a race with a bunch of guys I used to run with during school. Some of them used to mop my butt. I've been a "dry guy", kept running and mopped all their butts now, 20-years later. You can attribute that to a dozen different things, but one of them is definitely the priority that I'd rather spend a weekend afternoon plugging out 90-minute run while they now spend them plugging through a twelve pack. Alcohol is a drug Mike and it'll change your behavior. You wanna mess with it, you'll certainly be in the majority. But believe you me, someday, somewhere, you're gonna toe the starting line to some hugely important race and the guy next to you will have trained just as hard for just as long as you, but he's gonna nip you at the finish because he's a substance free runner. I take a fair bit of ridicule in these forums for my stance on this and that's okay because for every inside comment pointed my way, I get pm's from people here either supporting my view or saying they know they could be a better athlete if they could only give up their habit. It's a bit off the direction of your original question, but this is the time to set your attitude and direction for being an endurance athlete. And if getting "absolutely plastered" is part of your program, I don't believe for a second you're very serious about being the best you can. /end sermon (yes, I'm a father... 3 boys in fact)

Mike, You're underage and it's illegal. Get a grip on reality. Secondly, yes, it's bad for your running. Without a doubt, the binge drinking is nothing but setting yourself up for a few days of being unable to train properly. Ya know, I just recently had a race with a bunch of guys I used to run with during school. Some of them used to mop my butt. I've been a "dry guy", kept running and mopped all their butts now, 20-years later. You can attribute that to a dozen different things, but one of them is definitely the priority that I'd rather spend a weekend afternoon plugging out 90-minute run while they now spend them plugging through a twelve pack. Alcohol is a drug Mike and it'll change your behavior. You wanna mess with it, you'll certainly be in the majority. But believe you me, someday, somewhere, you're gonna toe the starting line to some hugely important race and the guy next to you will have trained just as hard for just as long as you, but he's gonna nip you at the finish because he's a substance free runner. I take a fair bit of ridicule in these forums for my stance on this and that's okay because for every inside comment pointed my way, I get pm's from people here either supporting my view or saying they know they could be a better athlete if they could only give up their habit. It's a bit off the direction of your original question, but this is the time to set your attitude and direction for being an endurance athlete. And if getting "absolutely plastered" is part of your program, I don't believe for a second you're very serious about being the best you can. /end sermon (yes, I'm a father... 3 boys in fact) Aww, youe making me feel bad :umno: . Fine, I'll give it up after this weekend. I already made plans and can't really cancel them. But thanks for convincing me to stop

Been there done that too, Mike....for more years than I care to count. Went through a really long period of getting plastered way more than once every couple weeks back in my 20's and I can tell you, my liver hasn't been right since and I'll have problems with it from now til the end because of that and other factors, but the alcohol certainly contributed.

JJ's right--I'm not completely "dry" forever yet but I'm getting to that point because every time I do even have a couple beers (and I mean like two) I am sick for days. Not fun. It really does affect your health in negative ways and the effects are cumulative over time.

It's your life, and no one can tell you what to do with it, but hopefully hearing other people's stories will at least factor into whatever your decision is.

first of all, i'd say for most adults moderation is key...are a couple of nightly glasses a wine or beer going to hurt? No, and there are studies that show the health benefits of imbiding in moderation. Are these couple of glasses of wine or beer going to effect our training or performance...for most of us probably not.

now for you young man. your 15 yrs old for crying out loud, while there are probably worse things you could be doing than getting torched every other weekend, I'd ask that you take a look at yourself and ask yourself how you feel about those bouts of drinking...get involved in some extra-curriculars at school, find yourself a girlfriend, get yourself a job and save some money for college...and then maybe the partying won't seem so important...you'll have plenty of time for partying later...right now, set some goals for yourself for the next year or two in terms of:

''running
''education
''getting involved with a club or team at school
''saving $ for (car, school, new stereo system, etc)
''drinking (think about what would and wouldn't be acceptable to your parents)...

show these goals to you parents and ask that they help you monitor your progress. if drinking is something that you are hiding from your parents, than i'll only allow you to take it off the list that you are going to show them if you can make the promise to yourself that you aren't going to have another drink for the rest of the school year....

deal???

email me or pm me with ??? if you like...

---
megawill

Sounds good thanks. It's not a secret from my parents, I'm very honest with them. But I'll stop as of this weekend. It's hard staying dry in a school where like 80% of the population does weed, but still thats no exuse. It's like saying I'm not going to stay healthy/fit because most other people don't. So I will stop, and set some goals, thanks :D .

ok...glad you're willing to give it a shot...remember the more people that you can enlist in keeping you honest about your goals, the more likely you are to be successful...have fun with it!!! make your goals tough yet reasonable, most of all don't be afraid to fail, reflections on our mistakes and failures are often the most valuable...if you back-slide in a certain area, ask yourself why that happened and whether the goal is still important to you...in all liklihood, if it was important when you wrote it down and shared it with someone, it is still important...no matter how you justify, rationalize or otherwise try to weasel out of it...
good luck...
---
megawill

Thanks, I'll do my best!

Mike, You're underage and it's illegal. Get a grip on reality. Secondly, yes, it's bad for your running. Without a doubt, the binge drinking is nothing but setting yourself up for a few days of being unable to train properly. Ya know, I just recently had a race with a bunch of guys I used to run with during school. Some of them used to mop my butt. I've been a "dry guy", kept running and mopped all their butts now, 20-years later. You can attribute that to a dozen different things, but one of them is definitely the priority that I'd rather spend a weekend afternoon plugging out 90-minute run while they now spend them plugging through a twelve pack. Alcohol is a drug Mike and it'll change your behavior. You wanna mess with it, you'll certainly be in the majority. But believe you me, someday, somewhere, you're gonna toe the starting line to some hugely important race and the guy next to you will have trained just as hard for just as long as you, but he's gonna nip you at the finish because he's a substance free runner. I take a fair bit of ridicule in these forums for my stance on this and that's okay because for every inside comment pointed my way, I get pm's from people here either supporting my view or saying they know they could be a better athlete if they could only give up their habit. It's a bit off the direction of your original question, but this is the time to set your attitude and direction for being an endurance athlete. And if getting "absolutely plastered" is part of your program, I don't believe for a second you're very serious about being the best you can. /end sermon (yes, I'm a father... 3 boys in fact) thanks jrjo. a serious athlete would really appreciate your words.

thanks jrjo. a serious athlete would really appreciate your words. :1: Well said jrjo. Right on the money as usual

I was a teetotaller till last year... I am 23 now and I drink rarely (~ 5 drinks till now)... I went thru high school, college, grad school, being in the 'cool people' loop. I even played hoops for my school ... Never succumbed to peer pressure on drinking or anything else for that matter.

Remember no body can force you to do anything you dont want too. They might go hard at you the first time, when you refuse to drink, but they will stop trying thence. You heard the replies from the experienced runners as to the effects of alcohol. I personally dont have any experience on those issues but know/have read enough to say that they are all spot on.

I would like to highlight a couple of points from Megawill's advice...

Getting into a club/team is a great thing for a variety of reasons... and, no offense meant to anybody, I believe that one cannot compromise on education... it gets you places and things.... agreed life is short and there is wanderlust in all... still you need to equip yourself.... you need something to distinguish you from tom penis and harry. Education can give you that something.

You seem to be a smart guy and as people pointed out, set realistic goals. If you feel an overwhelming urge to drink in the next few weeks, have a drink... If you are strong minded, you will find that your resolve to stop will get tougher once you are through that drink.

Sorry for the rambling text.... I had to give my 2 cents and have done so gladly if somebody benefits from it :)