hi I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. over the weekend and spent a day and a half in a hospital receiving ivs and only drinking fluids. This was due to my alcohol use. I only drink socially but when I do I binge drink. Im not an alcoholic just a normal college kid. Im having a hard time accepting the fact that I may be able to ever drink again but is there anyway I possibly could if I closely monitor my alcohol use and drink in moderation and cut back a lot?

I have been drinking mostly alcoholic energy drinks and vodka since ive been down here at school, mainly in part cuz its the least forgiving to my wallet. Ive heard alcoholic energy drinks are really bad for you and the FDA made a threat to take these off the market recently unless it was proven they were safe to drink. I was also taking nitrous oxide supplements whenever I'd work out at the gym, so I think this could have also played a factor into this pancreatic attack.

I also had a similar attack almost a year and a half ago, the pains were very similar. It was however diagnosed as gastritis so I dont know if they misdiagnosed it or not.

Obviously my health is #1 and I am planning on taking an indefinite time off of drinking until I fully recover from this. It sucks bc my friends 21st bday is in 2 weeks and me and a bunch of friends were planning on going to celebrate in vegas for spring break in 1 month I will most likely be a DD for him on his bday weekend and its going to be really hard resisting temptations to want to drink in Vegas but if I have to obstain from alcohol then thats what Ill have to do. The doctor said I recovered really fast bc I had been taking good care of my body otherwise (diet) etc. So will there be any possible way I can come back or is alcohol a done deal in my life?

Hi Bgold,
First let me say that I havent experienced your pain with pancreatitis, but my father had it and they say its worse than child birth, and I have had 2 children and cant even imagine. My father was an alcoholic for over 20 years. He was first diagnosed with pancreatitis back in 93 when there was no such thing. It seems much more common now. My father unfortunately had other health issues and eventually passed away of a heart attack at 47. However, his pancreatic problems really added to his overall bad health. He ended up with severe diabetes and cancer.
Ok now that I am done scaring you, I have a friend who also has acute pancreatitis, and she does drink. She knows when her limit is, and she can feel pain the next day if she has had too much to drink the night before. I think that you should probably do what you said and take it easy for a few weeks. I dont think you have to give up drinking all together, but you should probably cut down and realize when your limit is. And of course follow doctors orders. Hopefully you take a few weeks off no drinking and it clears itself up!! Good luck!

Please do not drink anymore. AA is the place for you . Lots of people have been in your shoes and now have wonderful lives thanks to AA. If you drink vodka or any other kind of alcohol, beer , wine anything. You will die a painful death. The pancreas is so sensitive your diet should be very healthy with no alcohol.I wish you the best. Please take care of your self.

I'm in the same boat- I'm 22 and was diagnosed with pancreatitis when I was 21. I drank a lot of Sparks alcoholic energy drinks and cheap Burnette's vodka in high school, and also took nitrous oxide supplements. I've had the pains pretty consistently for like 3 years now, I try to limit my alcohol usage to a couple beers every once and a while but it seems that certain foods and energy drinks exacerbate the pain the most.

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis because of alcohol abuse. Six months after my first attack, I thought it would be safe to have a drink here and there and where did I end up? Back in hospital with a second attack. Once you have been diagnosed with pancreatitis, totally abstain from any alcohol. Trust me, it is worse than child birth and I would not wish that pain upon my worst enemy. You are young, don't take any chances, it's not worth it. If you continue using alcohol, it may result in cancer of the pancreas and there is no cure for it. Take care and good luck!!