I've got a set of goals written down, but they're all pretty long term and I probably won't hit any of them for a few years.

I think one of the reasons I don't improve at a rate at which I'd be happier with is because I don't have a real, goal-oriented training plan and I don't reevaluate my training often enough.

So, for those goal setters among us, how frequently to you reevaluate and readjust?

After ever road race I run with you!

I usually make annual goals. Life seems to change to much to go beyond that.

Tuesday..

Don't know why, but it hit me that my "long term" goals weren't getting any closer. So I did some serious head scratching to decide realistically when I want to reach them and what it's going to take in terms of "along the way" goals. Now I've been staring at this multi-year plan the last couple days and actually it's starting to pump me up.

I only have long term goals right now. Before my race last weekend i had a goal for the race, but nothing immediate. I'm just trying to build up distance so that i can start training for goals

Due to the number of layoffs from injuries this year, I had to readjust alot of my short-term goals. But my long terms goals are still pretty much the same.

Most of my goals are 6 mo to a year in a realistic point of view. I don't necessarily say that I will accomplish them within that time, but that's about how long I think it will take me. Long term goals are pretty intangible to me. Long term, I want to do an Ironman and an ultramarathon. I also want to stay in good shape for the rest of my life, and be able to talk smack to people half my age (when I'm 60 that is... not a whole lot of fun talking smack to a 10 yr old). As far as short term goals, these are my basic "run a sub-19 5k" or "run a marathon". These goals can change in as little as 2 months, because I still haven't reached a plateau where I level off as a runner. Because of my lackluster training and the fact that I haven't been running that long, I'm still seeing major improvements in short periods of time. Because my improvements happen so quickly, my goals can change quickly as well. Once I start to level off, my goals will take much longer to achieve and I will update them less frequently.

Longer post than I intended

:shrug: at my age??? I've met my long-term goals. I think that I could improve on them...but not by much.....so I guess, I have an ongoing goal to improve at all distances for a few more years. Then I can determine new times for the sliding aged person times

I set goals over the winter for summer racing season. This past year is one of the few times I actually made all of them. I might try for a pie in the sky goal for 5k time next year but I'll wait to see how training goes over the winter. I've traditionally faded over the winter so I have to see if I can overcome that issue.

Are you interested in one specific race? You do so many different sports. Do you want to improve greatly in just one of them or all of them? I would say focus on a specific race. Getting an online coach may help too, if you have trouble focusing your training. You're a very good athlete, so if focus is your problem the coach will help you zero in on where you need to give more attention. I used one just for a month, when injury and then his schedule set us back...but I'll return after injury and after he's settled...and it's really great...especially if you're crunched for time. Good luck to you!

:)