Going today to buy new shoes. I have a list of them suggested by my store for the high-arched, narrow-footed, larger runner and wondered if any of you had experience with these. Yes, I know picking a new shoe is a highly personal thing, but I'd be happy to hear your recs or more, something negative you might have found that would make you not buy them again. The options are: NB 991 Asics Nimbus or Cumulus Mizuno Wave Rider Nike Pegasus or Shox Thanks!!

I was always a NB kind of guy, but then the LRS sold me a pair of Mizunos, not sure if they're wave riders or not, but I do love them. I'm thinking given the funny wave shaped layer in the heel, they might be. They give some great cusioning, good support, and so far no blisters.

All are very solid shoes. The 991 has a medial post, so it will prop you up more than the others if you tend to overpronate. My guess is that if your running store suggested the others, then (assuming they know what they are talking about) you are fairly neutral.
Bottom line - all are great shoes, go with the one that feels best to your feet.
Have fun (I love buying running shoes!) :D
hup

I love the Wave Riders. They're fairly light and cushion well. In my experience, they do stiffen up a bit if you run in the rain, but after a few more dry runs, they loosen back up. I don't really like the laces that come with them and replaced them with Easy Laces.

:wavey: I love Mizuno shoes! :wiggle:

NB 991 ..tried 'em on and didn't like the feel
Asics Nimbus or Cumulus ..the Nimbus is THE CADILLAC, I have no doubt you'll like the feel. The Cumulus is like a Buick, close to the Caddy, but not quite. Still good though. I've logged many miles in both.
Mizuno Wave Rider ..i got nuthin.
Nike Pegasus or Shox ..I'm a Peg junkie right now. Been in them the last 6-mo and like the bargain prices and different models..road, trail and racer. Haven't tried the Shox, I'm not a heel-striker, so doubt they'd be worth it.

A few others to consider which I've ran in and work for high-arched, bigger guys..
Adidas Universal or Supernova-cushion
Brooks Glycerin or Epiphany

all things being equal, that is assuming all were to fit your foot the same; out of this list the 2 that stand out to me are the Nimbus and Wave Rider...

I don't know what you mean by 'larger' runner but if you're upwards of say 180-190, I think that this two would be a good choice...the midsole and outsole of the Rider are both super durable, though the ride is a little firmer than many other brands (i.e, Nike)...the Nimbus will feel a little bit softer...but my personal preference is for Mizuno shoes...although from the list given, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, get the one that feels the best, and find a store that will let you take a run around the block or will let you bring them back after a run or two at home...then you do need to feel the pressure of making the right 100 dollar choice on the spur of the moment inside the store...

If you're a neutral runner, avoid the 991, it may be too much support for you.
Since I'm not a neutral runner, I can't tell you personally about any of the shoes, but I do work PT in a running store, so I may be able to give you some insight on what people here buy or think.

This is definitely an Asics/Mizuno town. The Mizuno people are loyal and swear by all the shoes. If they're comfortable for you, I doubt you'll have problems.

Asics is also a huge seller with a big fan base. Jrjo is right about the Nimbus Cadillac comparison, but both seem to be good shoes.

We have very few Nike fans here (strange?), but I've heard good things about the pegasus. I would personally love to wear it since it's comfy when trying it on. The Shox have gotten horrible reviews from runners. They claim they break down fast. I have no idea if that's true, or if it's from people who should never have been in it in the first place. (we don't carry it) Nike does have a brand new shox, the 2:45 which has gotten good press, but I don't know of anyone who has run in it.

New shoe shopping is the greatest! Good luck!

Thanks for playing our game today folks. Remember, just like your last race, everyone who participated is a winner!!! :P

The answer is:

The Mizuno Wave Runner 7!!!!!!

I'll try them this week on a few short runs and can bring them back if there are problems. Tomorrow starts me back after a one week doctor-imposed hiatus to correct some achilles tendonitis. It felt so damn good to run around the block trying out shoes, even if I was in street clothes in downtown Philly!

Thanks again for all for your advice and opinions.

I had the pegasus and loved both pairs. I wore out the first pair--the second pair barely got broken in before I had to stop running.

I really loved the Pegasus. They rocked!

heres my two cents even though im too late...

i really like nike pegasus and adiddas supernovas

congrats on the shoes!

am I the only person that thinks pegasus will not work for the narrow-footed? I'm very wide (note: I were NB). I ran in my Pegasus for a long run yesterday and even I kept wanting to re-tie my shoes tighter. I've forgotten how durable these babies are....I've got a few miles on these puppies and they still feel wonderful. Unlike my beloved NB 83* series. Nothing like buying a pair of shoes to run two weeks in.

jrjo-how's the glycerins working for you? I find them awful!! I know they replaced the hyperions, but I find them nothing like the original. The hyperions were the most durable, lightweight shoe evah!!!

I have very high arches (shaped like a small banana) and also very narrow feet (3 inches across the top at the widest point).

I run in the Nike Women's Air Pegasus and I love them. However, they don't have that feel of being snug under the arch like says ome adidas - although I've been told this makes no difference to the mechanics of the shoe and your run, just that it's just a personal preference. (Sue - have you definitely got the Pegasus women's version, as they don't seem too wide?)

Either way, it sounds like you made a good choice by going for what felt right for you, RR.

L

I tried the first version of the glycerins a couple of years ago...felt like i was running in a pair of skis, i returned them promptly...