I just recently started running. I'm doing well on my runs (I could be faster). Either way, I live in Virginia and winter temperatures have arrived. Everytime I go out running in these temps my nose and back of my throath start hurting from the cold air.

While running I breath through my nose and out of my mouth 95% of the time. On hills I may breath through my mouth by accident, but for the most part I'm pretty good about breathing through my nose. My question is, is there something I can do about the pain in the back of my through and nasal passage? It is the cold air affecting it right?

Thanks in advance.

Wear a balaclava or a scarf covering your mouth and nose loosely. It keeps warm air circulating. That was the only way I could run in the cold in Joisey.

But, there are other far more knowledgable cold air runners on this board.

RWS?? Jrjo?

Welcome aboard!!!!

I second aire's advice. I have asthma and cold dry air is a trigger for me. Fortunately I live in a tropical swamp like environment, however when I go skiing my doctor suggests I wear a scarf or neck gaitor over my mouth and nose, so the air is heated and moisturized before I breath it in. It seems to have helped me in the past.

Again, I'm a tropical dweller, so I'll defer other suggestions to more northern runners, but thats my tidbit!

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

It's all about the clothes, my friend. It's also about hydration. Drink more water if you're not drinking enough, at least half your body weight in fluid oz. every day. More in DRY winter.