Hi, I'm a new runner. My biggest motivation for running is to lose lbs and maintain a good body weight. What do you thing the best traing is? :|

This may be blasphemy on this site, but be sure to mix in some weight training into your fitness routine. You will burn fat while building a stronger physique. Also, diet is crucial. You will not acheive your fitness/image goals on exercise alone. If you need more details, post up, as I'm sure either I or someone else can answer your questions. It's kind of hard to tell people what they need to do if you don't really know what their specific goals are.

I agree with Davo. Running (or other cardio) + weight training = winning combination.

yes weight training is a good addition. Muscle is what burns off the fat, the more muscle, the less fat, even when you are at rest you'll burn more calories. just be smart about it. remember high weight, low reps to add muscle but don't hurt yourself on the weight.

Blasphemy, yes, all of you!! :x

:P

I've long been spouting the same line and will continue to. The single best way to weight loss is mileage. 30-mi weeks is what I find the teetering point of getting the scale to move down. And to get the real burn going, bump it up to 40, 50 & 60. When I had to make a dramatic move on the scale, I cranked 'er up to 60-mi weeks and that was the ticket. Granted, to get there, I was initially getting in morning and evening walks of 2-mi each, but eventually rolled it all to running miles.

The second aspect of mileage being the big ticket is how so very often I hear the excuse of "I dropped the gym membership because I didn't have the time, money, blah, blah" or "I was out of town and couldn't lift" or "life got to busy to lift", which feeds into so many dropping the weight training. I know a number do keep it up and kudos to them, but more often than not it's a tough routine to keep up. Versus the simple regime of lacing up and heading down the road. It becomes a virtual excuse free program when all you have to do is move yourself down the road. :twocents: 8)

^ Doesn't sound like someone who could even think about 60-mile weeks, or even 30 for that matter.

But you do make a good point that those with weights in their routine can make excuses easier. There is no excuse for not putting your shoes on and going for a run. Not like there's a shortage of open space in this world.

Hey ya, thanks for the advice? I run a 5k now, 3 times a week and I do lift 3 times. I can't lift right when i get done running! Is it still okay to do that later in the evening?

as in to do weights in the evenings and run in the morning? SURE that's fine too. lots of folks do a slpit work out

30 miles a week minimum? Are you guys crazy? 8O

I used to run 10 miles twice a week at the height of my fitness... maybe I wasn't very fit :?

If weight loss is your aim, jrjo hit the nail on the head. Mileage is what counts more than anything else. 3 miles at a shot, 3 times a week is a good start, but you need to think about building on that base. Consider this: you can increase your mileage by a whopping 33% either by running an extra mile each time or by just adding a 4th running day to your week. Sure, upping the mileage is hard. You have to build up to it gradually and it takes precious time. But it really no-kidding works unlike any diet plan you've ever tried. When I could actually run instead of hobbling, I found that my tipping point was about 50 miles a week. At that rate, I could eat as much as much as I wanted and still maintain around 11% bodyfat. If you've got the self-discipline to limit your intake without feeling deprived (that would not be me), you can get the same effect on fewer miles. But either way, it's running the miles that strips off the fat.

But 50 miles a week is like running 12.5 miles four times a week! 8O

How the hell do you find the energy to do that?

50 miles??? There's no way i will be able to do that!

We've all been there. Whether it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Running more than a couple miles at a time seemed cRaZy and impossible. But having been-there-done-that myself and seen it done by so many other runners, I know it's just a matter of one foot in front of the other, one day at a time, improving, getting stronger, more endurance, commitment, dedication.. not impossible, in fact, quite possible. Being a distance runner doesn't take some special genetic makeup or some trust fund of money to pursue or some kind of cushy job that leaves you with oodles of time, it really is one of the purests of sports and when taken in daily doses of often less than one hour a day, it's like building the pyramids, before you know it you've got months and years behind you on the road and those 50-mi weeks roll out beneath you as if you'd done them your whole life. It's true.

Uh oh, let me clarify what I meant. You certainly don't have to run 50 mpw to lose weight. Running 20 mpw can make a significant difference. As long as you don't overcompensate by eating more than you are burning, modest mileage will still sculpt away the extra jiggly stuff. For me, it takes more only because I don't want to worry about how much I eat. I have to run more in order to support my lack of self-discipline. I just mentioned my tipping point as a (possibly) interesting fact about me. I didn't mean to suggest that 50 mpw should be anyone else's goal. With even a modicum of self-discipline at the training table, you should be able to run less than that and still lose weight.

On the other hand, notice that weekly mileage numbers only seem unattainable until you actually attain them. If 50 mpw looks impossible to you now, consider that you probably felt the same way about 30 mpw, 20 mpw, 5 mpw, or even running a whole mile without stopping. When you first started running, those were distant targets that you weren't sure you could reach. As you gradually increase time/distance/intensity of your running, becoming a more and more efficient athlete, those goals get reached pretty much automatically. As for finding the energy, the limiting factor is more often time. You have to find a weekly mileage that you can schedule without short-changing the rest of what needs to go on in your life. It could be 20 mpw or it could be a lot more. Best to keep an open mind and just figure out what works for you on the fly.

If you did 20 miles a week on two runs there is no reason you shouldn't have been running 4-5 days a week and more than 30 miles per week.
That aside, the basic point of jrjo is right.
Run.
When you get stronger and more endurance, run more...farther and longer. Right now 12 miles a week may be a big deal. Well, start thinking about throwing in a 4 mile run in every week. When that gets easier, throw in a 5 every two weeks. Build up to it and the only judge of performance is how you measure against yourself and what you are looking to get out of running.