I admit that, as my kids get older, I am becoming more and more afraid. Teen age is almost here, the older one is 11 years old and I just don't know what to do. I already heard of some older kids in his school that were caught drinking and I don’t know how to prevent underage drinking in my teen kids.

Well, they are not teens yet, so there is not an immediate reason for you to be worried. And you surely know there are always problematic kids in all schools, and that problematic part includes violent behavior, alcohol, maybe even drugs. That is the reality today and one of the prevention methods is educating your kids about the dangers that they might (I repeat might, that does not have to happen at all) face in the years to come.

I assume you have to find some balance between worrying too much and giving your kids a complete freedom. The problem here is that they are entering their teen years and that is always a hard period for them, when there will be a lot of self questioning, a lot of issues and dilemmas and parents sometimes simply don't know how to deal with it.

I think/hope that my parents did not have many problems with me back in those years. I do know they had a lot of it with my older brother. He had always been restless, and I remember him sneaking out each and every night to see his friends and then coming back couple of hours later. I suppose you have to be prepared for this period too.

Give them alcohol. Teach them the good and bad things about alcohol. Teach them how much alcohol they can drink safely (It's more than none, but less than a bottle of tequila).

I go out drinking socially quite often; I've never lost control of myself, I've never had a hangover, I've been the one my drunk friends turn to for help, because I drink responsibly. Teach your kids how to drink responsibly, instead of simply not to drink, and they will thank you for it many, many times.

Give them alcohol????

bbfeet9 wrote:

Povtoryayu wrote:

Give them alcohol????

You've summed up the post quite nicely, thank you.

By giving your teenagers alcohol (in moderation, of course), you remove the "forbidden fruit" appeal of drinking, teach them actual FACTS (which we won't learn from our friends, believe me) and raise their respect of you as a guide to growing up rather than a prison warden.