my step mom bought a few african dwarf frogs in this aquarium thing. she kept them in her classroom for the school year and everything was fine. she brought them home and one of them keeps floating. it either floats at the top completely or just its butt floats and its head goes straight down. it doesnt move unless you tap the glass and then it only twitches its feet a little. is it dying? if not, whats wrong with it?

she didnt clean it the tanks ever and fed it every day the little tablets that came with it. it was a "WildCreations" EcoAquarium, she followed all the directions but i dont wanna flush it if its not dying. please help if you can. thanks

Frogs and toads live in FILTH! usually! So If I were you I would phone your local pet store and ask, they might be able to tell you what to do with him, and do NOT flush him honey! He is still living - so far - and IF he gets into the sewer system, he could still survive and cause more problems for the environment! Just like the Chinese jumping fish - they are eating up regular fish etc.! So ask them to take a look at him, and for them to take care of him IF he does die! Also Google African Frogs and their upkeep! Good luck! I hate to think of him dying1

Okay thank you. Yeah good point about flushing it. They wanted to flush it even though its not dead and i feel like thats so mean if its not dead. So should we bury it then? I mean IF it does die.

Thank you for your help, i wasnt sure if anyone would respond to this since i never saw anything about people asking about animals and stuff. Im glad you did :) i feel bad for the poor guy.

Where I lived as a kid there was a GROSS pond, and in there were frogs and toads! I LOVED them - they were SO cool! And I feel bad whenever an animal dies! Even fish.As I stated honey just phone the pet shop 1st and find out! And keep looking at the other one - as if the one that is floating has a disease, he could pass it on to theother frog! And yes bury it in a box! We had a tortoise and we buried it in a box! I think it's nicer that way and protects the earth - so to speak anyway!

ohh wow. well thanks again :)

How's he/she doing?

I kept frogs for a while and have done some research on them as well, and you might try holding it in your hands for a little while and see if it hops around a bit (WASH HANDS AFTER). Based on what you said, it might have a disease or it might just be lazy. definitely get it to a vet or someone professional to look at it before you kill it though, because if it does have a disease, there are aquarium safe chemicals that can be added to the water to help treat it. OR it might just be a lazy guy, it does happen.. Also if it does die, burying it would be the best option.

What does the holding do Joe? Is it the warmth of the hands? I feel SO bad for this poor thing, and great point about the chemicals - I thought those were only for fish! As my frogs and toads lived outside in a pond. The strange thing to me is that frogs live in pretty scummy areas - out in the wild, Algae, mud, putrid areas etc. BUT in captivity we keep everything fresh for them. I wonder if that has anything to do with it!?

They are active little fellows, particularly at night. They swim around a lot, or they like to just float in a very strange position, which I like to call the "Zen position" (i.e. arms and legs spread out and often balancing on one foot as though meditating the deeper meanings of life...) One visitor wrote me recently to tell me that this position actually has a name! It's called "burbling". Occasionally, they float at the top. This is when they are being ULTRA lazy, so they don't have to swim very far when they decide they want to get air. Don't be alarmed if your frogs do this for a couple of hours---it often looks like they are dead but this is not the case. (Just poke them lightly if you're really freaked out, and you'll see that they were just spacing out, not dead!)

thanks everyone for all of your input.

bambi27: he actually died before we could get him somewhere.

i guess we will have the info if this happens with the other one though.

Sorry you lost your frog!! They are very sensitive animals. So be careful when changing their water that you use chlorine free water, or purified water. And rinse your hands before any contact as some of the germs can be harmful to them. You could do some research on them, they are pretty easy as you know to care for, just sensitive.