My goldfish has a huge lump on it and it seems to me that it is bothering him a lot - he keeps swimming in this particular spot at the bottom of the aquarium and doesn't move much at all anymore. Do you think fish feel pain? Should I kill him?

Hi Tull417 , I just joined and noticed your query. Is your goldfish still alive? Mine got a lump and began to be quite lethargic in the tank and died shortly afterwards. As to whether a goldfish has feelings and can feel pain. I believe they do. I had mine from a baby and he always came to the top for me to feed him and would look at me when I sat in front of the tank. He had a buddy that he swam around with. One morning I went to feed him and he did not come to the top but just looked at me. I wondered what was wrong. Then I noticed his buddy was not there. I looked around and found him stuck in an ornamental log that was in the tank. Unfortunately he had not been able to back out and subsequently died. I got him out and then looked at my other goldfish who looked at me and had seen me get his buddy out. He then started to eat. I think he was telling me about his buddy. Sounds crazy I know, that a golfish could have feelings and be sad about his buddy. I know too that if you go fishing and try to take a hook out of a fish's mouth they will kind if squeek/squeal so I think they do feel pain. As to whether to put your fish down, he could possibly recover but in my experiences with fish they usually die and pretty quickly so they don't suffer.