Hey, I have a 8 year old son and recently I have noticed that he is building up quite abit of upper body muscle mass ( abs, pecks, biceps) and they are really noticeable as they are quite large and defined. When I questioned him about it he told me that he has been using the smaller of my weights when I have not been around because he "wants to be like the people on TV". I don't mind him using the weights but I removed the really heavy ones so he doesn't get hurt. Am I right to allow him to use the weights? Will this affect his body when he is older (stunted growth)? Also I am a lone parent as my wife died 6 months ago, could this be a factor in him wanting to be like the people on TV? I really want to know as I don't have anyone I can go to for advice and I don't want questions from teachers, sports coaches etc. about his body. Thanks, Paul Newman

Hi, it might seem for you that your son is to young to start working out or be concerned about his look. But look at it from a different side, he cares about  himself and he is willing to make better of himself. Most kids today are too lazy to work out or play sports, but your son is not. Maybe the best way for you to be sure is to actually encourage him to work out, show him how to train properly and how to warm up before work out. That way you can be sure he wont hurt himself by working out and wont stunt is growth. Working out at this age can only help him, he will be healthier and more satisfied with himself.