Ive have a sore throat for a few days now and i had just put it down to being run down because ive been working long hours as a student nurse but today when i checked the back of my throat the right side (There is only pain on the right side) is red and swollen, i looked at my tonsils which seems to be the general area of pain and the little holes that i assume are your tonsils, one of them had yellow substance around it (I'm guessing its pus), Not a huge amount and only on the one hole. I do smoke around 10 a day and i am on Mefenamic acid (For pelvic cavilty pain) and the medication can cause a sore throat. I have had tonsilitus before and there was a lot more pus and on both sides of my mouth and it tasted aweful. This doesn't, but there is less pus. I haven't been around anyone with tonsilitus (That i know of) and i have not shown any other signs of a cold or flu. I'm just tired from working so much.
Is this just the beginning of Tonsilitus or an infection or could it be something a lot worse?
I'm acctually very worried.
Please help someone.

Usually anyone that has had tonsilitis once will get it again - thus the need for a tonsilectomy - so I would hazzard a good guess that you are getting it again. You should get a throat swab and get put on antibiotics. Of course - you being a nurse and all - you know that smoking is NOT a good thing for your mouth, throat, lungs heart etc. So anytime you have an infection or are rundown the smoking will only make things worse - but you know that! So no more sermons! ;-) XD You definitely have either strep throat or tonsilitis though and need to get a swab to determine which one and get put on some anitbiotics. Good luck and health!