I occasionally cough up a yellowish-greenish substance from my throat. It looks chunky. I've drastically cut down on my smoking recently, and I am 40 years old. (Pack a day smoker for the last 20 years). The substance is quite hard, and has a rancid/fecal smell to it. It can cause a tickle in my throat for days or even weeks, and I usually cough it out after brushing my teeth. It may range in size anywhere from a BB to the size of a pea. My doc says it is nothing to worry about, but I have my doubts. What is it? What causes it? ? It has become more common recently, and the chunks larger in size. Anything that smells this bad, and sits in my throat for such a long time can't be good for my throat. Is it coming out, because I've practically quit smoking?

My doctor also diagnosed me with chronic bronchitis, but I don't believe I have C.B. I did work in a cold wet environment for 4 years, and that was bad on my health. I've had these things in my throat since I was about 14. I still have my tonsils.
Any answers would be appreciated.

yo dude i get the same things and when u press on it it smells like fkn yuck c**p aye, damnnn

they are tonsil stones. look them up on google

i get them too and they smell horrific..i can usually taste them before they cum up tho..then ill cough it up usually..horrible they are..is there a solution??

the only way to get rid of the discharge from the tonsils is to have them taken out. I had mine out 3 yrs ago..(im 43 now) and wish I had done it sooner. It took care of the tonsillitis and nasty smell.

OMG I have had this happen like a few times for the last few years im 21 and dont smoke, it is always about bb size and hard like soft cheese, smells like its been rotting for long time. Well today I was looking at my teeth in the mirror and I saw some small bits of yellow stuff in the back of my throat. I thought it was food or something so I tried to spit it out but couldn't so I used a little pick and got a little out. I saw that it was that c**p from before so I then tried to get the rest with my finger. I tried to scrape it from my throat next to my tonsils, when I put pressure on my skin there was a large flap that kinda opened and the biggest one I have ever seen came out, about the size of a pea. Yea so I was like WTF, so I went and looked it up and here I am.

They are normal, believe it or not. They get stuck in the little pockets in your tonsils you never knew you had. I asked the doc about them and he said they are normal. You can smell them before you see them. Push on different areas of your tonsils and be prepared to be amazed and grossed out as all these nasty little disgusting things come popping out. Ugh. It does definitely improve your breath, though, to get them out. If you have one of those water pik shower heads or a regular hand-held water pik, either one of those puts enough pressure on them to help push them out. It's easiest to just open your mouth in the shower and let the shower head work them out, but sometimes it's just not enough pressure. I've considered asking my dentist to suck them out with that suction tube the dentist has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsil_stone

I've had this problem myself and always wondered what the heck was wrong with me. hope this link helps

oh damn, i thought all those years of smoking finally caught up with me. Sweet, so its NOT cancer.

I'm glad that someone posted on these stones because they can be a subject of concern for a lot of people and seem serious but really aren't that big a deal! I know that it's scary when you're coughing stuff like that up and it seems like your doctor's reaction might've been a bit flippant, but it's okay. They are not bad for you, and you should be fine. Thanks for letting us know about it though.

I have read that people tend to get these if they've been childhood sufferers of tonsilitis. I used to get tonsilitis regularly as a child. Constant tonsilitis causes pits in the tonsils in which muscus gets trapped and builds up. At least this is what I read when researching the problem. I used to gently wipe them out with an earbud, but be very careful of digging them out with your fingers as you can cause a really bad infection in your throat. It helps to gargle deep in your throat as this releases them. A good antibacterial mouth wash is a good idea as I'm sure they also lead to further throat infections.

well I just brought one up after eating dinner and now i have a sore throat. mine are usually smaller then the ones you are describing but gross anyways :-(

I get these, they are quite annoying :-S :-S :-S but I gargle with saltwater and it keeps them away for a couple of months :-D :-D :-D and then they come back and I gargle again = I have been doing this since I was 10 and I'm 16 now. :$ :$ :$ It is also caused by swallowing your own phlem. ;-) ;-) ;-)

That makes sense although I swallow my own phlegm all the time and that doesn't cause anything. The saline solution works best so I'd say that works better than anything else you can try. Does that help?

lol honestly....I was like what are these things....and then im like....ill just google it...and here we are....well im happy to know they arent harmful....but as for squeezing them out....uhm no ill let them naturally come out...but yeah whats up with the smell....its nasty.....