Few days ago I have noticed fluid discharge from my breasts. I was really frightened and naturally went to my doctor. Even though there are no cases of breast cancer in my family the thought of it freaks me out. My doctor told me that I don’t need to be worried, that it was just a case of infection. Can you tell me more about it?

After lumps and breast pain, nipple discharge is the most common breast complaint for which women seek help. Women have some degree of fluid secretion activity in their breasts throughout most of the adult life. The majority of nipple discharges are associated with non-malignant changes in the breast. They are mainly caused by hormonal imbalances. The most common type of discharge is milky discharge. It is caused by lactation or increased mechanical stimulation of a nipple. Bloody or watery discharges are very common, in 90% of the cases. They are caused by benign condition such as papilloma or infection. In 10% of the time, suspicious nipple discharge happens because of malignant lesion. Tissue discharge caused by a malignant condition is mainly unilateral, which means that discharge happens in one breast. Tissue discharge from both breasts is usually benign.