I have a friend who told me that unexpected nipple discharge does not often point to serious disease. However, I found it scary nonetheless, so I would like to hear anything you could tell me about nipple discharge. I definitely think that having a discharge unrelated to breast-feeding is understandably concerning. Can you tell me could it be cancer, the disease I am afraid the most, or that could be something else? I would like to hear some of possible causes of nipple discharge.

Since breast is a gland, secretions from nipples are usual, even for women who have never been pregnant. Fortunately, nipple discharge usually is not associated with cancer, or malignancy. Several conditions could be responsible for the secretions. In some of these cases, nipple discharge does require treatment. First, I want to explain what nipple discharge is, because that is the point of this answer. Nipple discharge is any fluids that seep out of your nipple. It could happen to one or in both nipples, it could be spontaneous, or happen only when you squeeze nipple. I would recommend you to make an appointment with your doctor, but before that, remember everything that could help you explain your discharge. Causes are first normal functioning, or physiological discharge, an inflamed duct mammary or a small non-cancerous growth in a duct. Sometimes causes of nipple discharge even if you are not pregnant could be caused with an injury, breast infection, changes in breast tissue and breast cancer.